starting strength gym

Thread: Squat lagging, want advice on form / going forward

Default Squat lagging, want advice on form / going forward

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys I'm relatively new to Starting Strength and strength "training" in general. Worked out off and on for years but never as focused as this routine. I've read the book and been doing it about 6 weeks and I'm noticing my squats are getting particularly difficult. I knew my legs were a weak point heading into this.

Here's my stats: 31 years old, 6'1", 205 lbs. (Up from 195 at the start of this routine)
    Squat: 205 lbs
    Deadlift: 280 lbs
    Bench: 185 lbs
    Overhead: 115 lbs
    Power Clean: 125 lbs

Right now I'm only really having issues with the Squat and to a lesser extent the Deadlift. I do realize I should be squatting more in relation to everything else. Probably just need to keep doing it and it'll even out. I feel like I'm definitely rounding my back a bit on DL and maybe taking too much time in between reps?

I haven't had a missed rep or a need for a reset, but it does feel like I'm close to hitting a wall. I do have a history of a herniated disc and a bit of a sciatica issue however it's been good the last few years. The sciatica feeling has been acting up with these more recent lifts but nowhere near where I'd need to stop training.

Anyway here are two vids from this morning just in case I'm doing something blatantly wrong:

Squat 205: YouTube
    Deadlift 280: YouTube

Thanks! BTW love the information and articles on here.

Welcome!

You're squatting way too deep and lifting your chest early. Cut these off just below parallel and focus on driving your ass up and staying in your hips longer. On the deadlift, step four seems completely absent. You're not even trying to squeeze your chest up to set your back. Quit standing up and taking a stroll between reps. You're making it harder. Stay over the bar and get that shit done.

Get shoes!

I'm really curious about what in the book gave you the idea that squats that deep were recommended.

People say they've read the book when they really haven't read the book.

Well I guess I'll start the book over. Do you think I should drop weight to fix the form or just try to right the ship from where I'm at?

starting strength coach development program
    You will be able to keep adding weight while you work on form.