starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Check

Default Press Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

Please critique my last set of the press.

YouTube

Thanks

Squeeze the bar tightly in your hand, and point your knuckles at the ceiling. You want straight wrists with the bar directly over the radius/ulna.

Are these meant to be 2.0 presses?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    Squeeze the bar tightly in your hand, and point your knuckles at the ceiling. You want straight wrists with the bar directly over the radius/ulna.
    You're correct to address the wrists, but you'll want to be more specific with the knuckles cue. We don't actually want perfectly straight wrists, but slightly extended 10ish degrees.

Roger, I'll be careful with my wording. Does the 10ish degrees apply to the bench as well?

Yes. A little bit of wrist extension makes certain the bar sits on top of the radius and bones of the wrist. If your wrists were perfectly neutral on the bench press, what potential problem would that cause?

Cheers both. Will rejig my form and post an updated video.

If your wrists were perfectly neutral on the bench press, what potential problem would that cause?
    I'm guessing that would place the elbows behind the bar when we want it below it or slightly in front. I'd also guess that has something to do with how the radius/ulna wrap around each other during pronation/ supination.

Hi there,

Back again with another video.

YouTube

I think my knuckles are pointed to the ceiling more so then my first video. The set felt a bit weird as it was the first time I've pressed without standing in front of a mirror, but let me know what you guys think?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    I'm guessing that would place the elbows behind the bar when we want it below it or slightly in front. I'd also guess that has something to do with how the radius/ulna wrap around each other during pronation/ supination.
    If the wrist is perfectly neutral, with no extension, then the bar would sit on the thumb rather than the heel of the palm and would probably make for a very short bench session.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofthemac View Post
    Hi there,

Back again with another video.

YouTube

I think my knuckles are pointed to the ceiling more so then my first video. The set felt a bit weird as it was the first time I've pressed without standing in front of a mirror, but let me know what you guys think?

Cheers.
    Good. Pressing in front of mirror is a bad idea any way.
    The grip looks better, but the elbows need to be up more, with the tips in front of the line of the barbell. Lock your eyes straight forward.
    Are you trying to press with the hip action taught in the book?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast