starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m still having some issues keeping my back in extension on reps 3-5 of my deadlift work set. Per Pete’s recommendation I have set my shins a little farther away from the bar to get my hips a little lower. Here is my latest set of 320x5:

YouTube

Any form critiques? Also, is the rounding something I should be concerned with or just keep going up in weight? I think I’m trying very hard to set my back in extension and taking the slack out of the bar before pulling. It seems to be that my lower back just gets tired by rep 4-5. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Shove your knees out into your elbows and make room for your midsection to get between your thighs, so you can get your back flatter. Get your belt a little higher in the front and it will help you get your back set, as well. I think you've over-corrected on the distance from your shins. Get the barbell slightly back, directly over midfoot. You'll also need to get your weight centered over midfoot. Your weight is on your toes. Then, get your back set very hard. Bend the barbell up before you pull the deadlift, by means of getting your chest up hard.

Summary: your back isn't getting set well enough. Knees out, belt a little higher in the front, chest up so hard it bends the barbell.

Here's a couple articles that may help.

On getting your belly down between your thighs and getting your back set: Fixing a Rounded Low Back in the Deadlift | Nick Delgadillo

On getting your weight off your toes. Deadlift Setup Fix | Nick Delgadillo

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Shove your knees out into your elbows and make room for your midsection to get between your thighs, so you can get your back flatter. Get your belt a little higher in the front and it will help you get your back set, as well. I think you've over-corrected on the distance from your shins. Get the barbell slightly back, directly over midfoot. You'll also need to get your weight centered over midfoot. Your weight is on your toes. Then, get your back set very hard. Bend the barbell up before you pull the deadlift, by means of getting your chest up hard.

Summary: your back isn't getting set well enough. Knees out, belt a little higher in the front, chest up so hard it bends the barbell.

Here's a couple articles that may help.

On getting your belly down between your thighs and getting your back set: Fixing a Rounded Low Back in the Deadlift | Nick Delgadillo

On getting your weight off your toes. Deadlift Setup Fix | Nick Delgadillo
    Karl, thank you for the detailed analysis and response! Below is a video of my 325x5 DL from yesterday where I tried to implement your recommendations:

YouTube

Still needs work. I set up my shins slightly closer to the bar and put my belt a little higher. I widened my grip a tad to give more room for my knees to push out and tried to put my belly between my thighs. Reps 1&2 seem ok to me, but it started to fall apart on 3, 4, & 5. I realized that it feels so heavy to me and I’m so exhausted by rep 3 that I tend to rush through the setup. And it’s also hard to feel whether or not my lower back is set hard. My low back is quite sore today, but not too painful.

Should I keep adding weight to the bar and working on form as I go? Or is my form too bad? I’m at the end of LP (35 yo, 204lb, 19 weeks of LP, eating lots) and I’ve been stuck between 300-325 on DL for almost 2 months and not sure what to do. I probably need to set something up with a SSC!

Point your face at the floor in front of you 15 feet or so. Probably on the wall somewhere in a garage. This will help you get your thoracic spine set.

You are rushing the setup. Take your time getting your back set. Chest up hard, bend the barbell up, feel it heavy in your hands. This is the crucial step! Chest up AS HARD AS YOU CAN. You'll feel 99% of the weight in your hands, and only then do you start the pull.

I'd probably have you give it another go at 325 and get the back set hard on all 5 reps.

How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    How tall are you?
    I'm 5'10". Thanks for the input!