starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Grip - can't consistently create a shelf

Default Squat Grip - can't consistently create a shelf

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Youtube

I know I'm flexible enough to get into the correct position because I've already managed to get there, but I don't know what to do in order to replicate it consistently.
    The narrowest grip in the video usually works.

Sometimes I can slip under the bar right away, other times it takes longer than my actual workouts or I can't get to it at all.
    If I use the grip in the video, I get a lot of stress on my wrists, elbows and forearm muscles.

Any Advice?
    Thanks.

I'm not sure what we're looking at, but I hope you at least took the bar out to dinner first.

If you're trying to show us what your grip/position looks like when you unrack the bar in the video, it's too low on your back.
    One way you can get it in the right spot by yourself is to start it on the traps, then slide yourself forward against the bar until you feel it "catch" in the groove between the spine of the scaps and the rear delts.

Just a tip, but if you post another video, quickly get the grip, get the bar in the right spot and unrack it rather than a something like this where you seem to be wiggling around under the bar for a minute.

Good luck.

Hey, Pete. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I hope you at least took the bar out to dinner first.
    Doesn't staying close to your bar result in a more efficient lift?

Here's another one: Youtube

I could feel it underneath the spine of the scapula, so I guess that's the correct position then?
    I'm still feeling pressure on my elbows like this. Are they too high? If I try to keep them lower, the bar feels unstable.

I feel like my upper back could still be a bit tighter, but my wrists are already trying to slide outward due to the pressure.

Get your chest up when you unrack. You're hunched over. Extend your thoracic spine.

Bar looks slightly low to me. Reach around the front of you and find the spine of the scapula on the alternate shoulder. Then dig your finger in immediately underneath it. That's where the bar goes.

Watch Rip and the staff fix a bunch of bar placement problems, and it may make more sense to you.

YouTube

Thanks Karl,

Yeah, I think it was a bit too low still.
    How does it look now?
    Youtube

Right now I'm following this order:
    1. Put head under the bar
    2. Retract my scapula
    3. Slide under the bone directly beneath the traps (that's the spine, right?)
    4. Chest Up (am I still hunched? I can't seem to push it out further)
    5. Elbows Up