starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check after Back Angle Adjustment

Default Squat Check after Back Angle Adjustment

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

Feeling pretty good about my squat after implementing the adjustments suggested by this forum. Last time I was advised that my back angle was too vertical, which I believe I have remedied by remembering to sit back and using the point-nipples-to-floor cue. (Btw this has completely eradicated the back pain I was getting before from squatting with a too vertical angle AND made it easier to achieve depth) Here is the latest video:

YouTube

Any advice for further improvements would be greatly appreciated.

For anybody looking to avoid the mistakes I made here is the first attempt with suboptimal depth and bad back angle:

YouTube

And here is the second attempt where depth was adjusted by remembering to push the knees out but the back angle was still too vertical:

YouTube

Stop looking up with your head during the ascent. You are killing your hip drive. Fine tune your depth as you're going too far past parallel on a number of these reps and losing tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Stop looking up with your head during the ascent. You are killing your hip drive. Fine tune your depth as you're going too far past parallel on a number of these reps and losing tightness.
    Hey Jeff, thanks for the critique. I do have a pretty bad habit of looking up when I approach the work loads, probably has something to do with the mirror in front of the rack.

Regarding the loss of tightness at the bottom, I have read on this site and elsewhere that some degree of flexion at the end, the so called "butt wink", is inevitable and not as big a deal as it is often made out to be, any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Haider View Post
    I have read on this site and elsewhere that some degree of flexion at the end, the so called "butt wink", is inevitable and not as big a deal as it is often made out to be, any thoughts on this?
    No, this is incorrect. Don't flex your spine. If you can't control it now, learn how.

Now, the revolting and ridiculous term "butt wink" is often used by people whose eyes are focused on something other than what the spine is actually doing. Don't let this be you and don't get coaching by someone who gets the ass confused with the low back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    No, this is incorrect. Don't flex your spine. If you can't control it now, learn how.

Now, the revolting and ridiculous term "butt wink" is often used by people whose eyes are focused on something other than what the spine is actually doing. Don't let this be you and don't get coaching by someone who gets the ass confused with the low back.
    Thanks for the clarification guys. The article Mr. Rippetoe shared was the one I was referring to. Using these guidelines it seems as long as the back is locked in a rigid position some hip movement at the bottom shouldn't be a cause for concern. I believe that is the case in the video I posted but a second opinion would be greatly appreciated.