starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Please let me know what you all think and how I can improve.

This was 235. I was aiming for a set of 5 and got 3. I comfortably did 5 reps of 225 previously and I think I added too much weight.

YouTube

Welcome!

Your first problem begins before you even touch a barbell, as soon you put the gloves on. Lose them and get some chalk.

The worm's eye view with the plates in the way is a pretty lousy angle for a form check. A better video will get you better advice. Check the sticky at the top of the forum.

Based on where your knees are relative to your elbows, I suspect you're setting up with the bar forward of mid foot. It doesn't look like you're trying very hard to squeeze your chest up and set your back. You're letting your hips shoot up before the bar breaks the floor, and then basically stiff legging it from there.

Make sure the bar is an inch away from your shins, directly over mid foot. Squeeze your chest up harder, and keep your hips high while you do it. Start the lift by leg pressing the bar off the floor.

How long have you been doing the program? What did your deadlift start at, and what kind of jumps have you been making? How much weight have you gained since starting? Everybody starts somewhere, but 235 seems pretty light to look that difficult for an apparently able bodied young man, even with less than stellar form.

Most importantly, lose the gloves. Seriously.

Thanks Dillon,

1. Consider the gloves gone!

2. I have only been doing the program for about a month tops. I started deadlifting 135 and have gone up to 235 as of today which is the first time the lift ever felt difficult. I started the program at about 195 pounds and weigh about 200 now.

3. For reference my squat has gone from 115 to 195. Press from 85 to 115. Bench press from 115 to 140.

4. I have no injuries or anything just shitty self taught technique based on YouTube SS vids. Thanks for the input. I was unaware of the ability to get a video technique check until after my workout today. I’ll get a buddy to video me the correct way soon that way I can get more tailored input.

5. Thanks for your help.