starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - 190lb

Default Squat Form Check - 190lb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just restarted LP a few weeks ago after life and a small back tweak got in the way. Male, 22, 5'11, 183 pounds.

YouTube

These look pretty decent for the most part. I think you could be standing up more at the start of your reps, you're kind of leaned over to start and while you can get away with that now a heavier weight will be a lot harder to hold like this. Make sure your toes are pointed out 30 degrees (they might be but it's hard to tell from this angle). You're getting good depth, though you might even be going an inch too deep though if you've only been on the program for a few weeks you're likely still getting familiar with the movements. The main movement issue I see is I don't think your knees are tracking over your toes. Look at your shin angle as you ascend out of the hole, it looks like your knees are coming slightly inside your feet. Focus on shoving the knees out hard and keep them over your feet so that they don't cave into your midline and you lose power from that. And recognize that you are in the sweet spot of gaining muscle, eat accordingly (put on 30 lbs).

You could get more out of your hips. Focus on reaching back with your butt as you reach the bottom and driving your hips up.

Your wrists are in flexion and your elbows are likely too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    These look pretty decent for the most part. I think you could be standing up more at the start of your reps, you're kind of leaned over to start and while you can get away with that now a heavier weight will be a lot harder to hold like this. Make sure your toes are pointed out 30 degrees (they might be but it's hard to tell from this angle). You're getting good depth, though you might even be going an inch too deep though if you've only been on the program for a few weeks you're likely still getting familiar with the movements. The main movement issue I see is I don't think your knees are tracking over your toes. Look at your shin angle as you ascend out of the hole, it looks like your knees are coming slightly inside your feet. Focus on shoving the knees out hard and keep them over your feet so that they don't cave into your midline and you lose power from that. And recognize that you are in the sweet spot of gaining muscle, eat accordingly (put on 30 lbs).
    Yeah, I noticed that about my knees out of the hole. I'll try to be mindful of that. It may be my adductors and abductors just need to get stronger.

And I wish I could gain weight right now, but I'm headed into the Air Force in mid-Septemher as an officer and they have these ridiculous height and weight standards we have to meet for commissioning and entering active duty. At my height, we are supposed to be either under 174 pounds or 18% body fat. I'm over 174 obviously and I'm probably dangerously close to 18%, not enough room to play there. I've actually been losing weight over the last couple months, I started at 193. My running and cardio conditioning also kinda sucks so I'm going to have to start doing some HIIT running a few times a week, since it's the largest portion of our fitness test score.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    Yhave these ridiculous height and weight standards we have to meet for commissioning and entering active duty. At my height, we are supposed to be either under 174 pounds or 18% body fat. I'm over 174 obviously and I'm probably dangerously close to 18%, not enough room to play there.
    No tape test?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troxell View Post
    No tape test?
    They tape your waist and your neck and use some formula to figure out your body fat. They tape your waist alone only when doing the fitness assessment.