starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book smart, but uncertain in real life...

Talking Book smart, but uncertain in real life...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone, this is my first go at SS after having read the SS 3rd Edition up to the Bench Press chapter. Am reading the rest over the next few weeks.

I'm a male, 41, 177 lbs. bare, 15.9% BF, 5'11"

I am a member of Planet Fitness and have been working through their equipment since February of 2019. I did a 4 week routine by a magazine and then discovered Mike Matthews BLS 2nd. Edition and the Stacked App. I started working through that and subbing dumbbells for the barbell exercises with some reluctant use of Planet's Smith machine.

The more I read, specifically of Marks's book which I obtained about a month ago, it become intermediately clear that my strengthening is not going to be sufficiently supported at Planet. I needed to find a new gym with barbells and racks.

Today was the first day I went to a new LA Fitness in town on a trial pass. I fired up the SS App, read the beginners notes and did the best I could to follow them and what I could recall from the book/videos.

I was a little confused, it was definitely hard and I found myself trying to figure out, focus and ensure I was doing all the little techniques correctly. However, I definitely wasn't getting it all right - it was literally the first time I've worked with a barbell.

What I noticed most was that of the 5 other people using the bars/racks, they all had varying degrees of errors in their techniques. This is what happens when you become book-smart But, I'm not going to say anything since this is my first day even touching one of these pieces of equipment and their situation isn't my business unless they do something that's going to endanger me.

Nonetheless, I got bungled up in sorting out the weight on the bar and working with the App. I kept trying to refer to the videos, but when I would switch from the Training section to the Home and then try to watch one of the videos, the App would crash (iPhone 6, latest OS). I had to restart the App and then I could watch the video to so I could remind myself of the form.

I also got confused on how or if I could log the beginning weight progression in the App before hitting the working sets.

So I worked through the squat (95 lbs.x5x5). I focused on getting my wrists in a neutral position, holding my breath, getting the toes and knees out and going down as best I could. My legs definitely felt tight towards the bottom - I'm probably just not flexible enough to go as low as maybe is best?

Next up was the press. On my second work-set I was pushing 45 bar + 2 x 10 lbs./side = 85 lbs. I got to the 3rd work-set and I could only muster 3 reps before I felt like I was going to drop the bar. Does this mean I need to back off the weight?

Then I set up for the dead-lift. I had to put three 10lb. weights under each 25lb. weight on the bar to get the height up since LA doesn't have full-size lighter plates.

I got my shins right up to the bar, within an inch, reach down with a double over-hand grip, tweaked my chest up, looked forward at a slight angle down (towards meeting of the wall and floor I was facing), and pulled to lock-out my knees and hips. I did 5 sets of 5 at 95 lbs.

And that was it, I felt worn out.

So, my post-work out points of interest...
    1. I didn't eat breakfast. I was up at 5:30 AM, dropped my wife off at the bus at 6AM and then got to the gym a few minutes later. I obviously need some kind of nutrition before I get to the gym or while I'm at the gym because despite drinking water, I was starting to get a bit light headed during the 2nd set of Presses.

2. I've carefully read through the book just passed the exercises I did today, have watched numerous videos by Rip, watched the demo form videos in the SS App and still, I fully realized just how hard it is implement and maintain correct form and technique in real life without a coach. It's eff'in hard! And, the closest SSC is 2+ hours away

It's this realization that gave me pause. I know tons of folks here and on the Facebook group post "form-check" videos, but I'm just feeling sorta gun-shy on making sure I'm getting everything more right than wrong so I'm getting the most out of my time and work.

Maybe someone will say that I need to not beat myself up just yet since this was literally my first day, but it just seemed so apparent how difficult it is to translate book and video instruction into reality when the bar and weight is in your hands.

Despite all that, I'm not discouraged! I'm anxious to keep going and get the other components of what will help me get stronger in order (nutrition, technique, etc.).

That all said, any pieces of advice, App insight, nutrition examples, or pokes and prods are all fair game and greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm thankful to have found Mike Matthews and then subsequently Mark. I've got the books, I like the no-BS, no-bro-science, efficient, sensible methodology! Boy, if the intention was to get more fit, I saw so many other people this morning absolutely wasting their time, energy and putting themselves at risk of injury.

I'm extremely glad that I'm not going to be one of those people thanks to Mike, Mark and me not being a fool

Welcome!

You need to finish reading the book. A few things are immediately apparent.

If you feel you're not flexible enough to get your knees out, your stance may be too wide. If you couldn't complete your first press workout, you absolutely need to back the weight off and select a starting weight as described in the book. There's no way your first press workout should be almost the same as your squats and deads. The novice program is 3 sets of 5, not 5x5. Deadlifts are only one set of 5.

Finish the book, pronto, and take some form check videos if you're worried about it. Better than wasting your time doing shit wrong.

Welcome. I was you 7 years ago; 41, 175 6'0". I'm 48 now 225 lbs and stronger than I've ever been in my entire life. Smartest decision I ever made was to go to a seminar at the start of this journey. Form unlocks the key to progress. Go see a coach or get to a seminar. Go to Santana's nutrition forum and ask him what kind of macros you should be eating. You will not get stronger by not eating. Post technique videos often or join SSOC (after seeing an in-person coach). Thats what the boards are about. Read the stickys on how to film them and get good with basic editing software so we don't have to watch you adjust your ass for 5 minutes before you unrack the bar. Read, re-read and read some more of SS 3rd edition, PPST and TBP. Feedback is your friend. Post only to the coaches forum if you want to minimize random feedback. That being said, there are many on the boards who are not SSC's who know a hell of alot about form, programming and nutrition.

Strength will come. Be patient but committed. It will be the easiest hard thing you've ever done.

First off, welcome to the SS forum, and the start of a great path to increased strength. Regarding your 2 explicit questions:

I'm probably just not flexible enough to go as low as maybe is best?
    I'm not sure legs feeling tight towards the bottom is a bad thing, and it's hard to tell what exactly is meant. It's doubtful that you are too inflexible to reach depth (the question I think you are asking), and only a video would really give us enough information to help you out. You can also review the common squat problems in the book to see if you need to make any adjustments.

Does this mean I need to back off the weight?
    Yes, you started too high, and you should back the weight off. I'd go to at least 65lbs, and maybe even as low as 55lbs. You may be able to lift more, but I'd want to start off getting better on form with less than too heavy weight. As the weight on the bar goes up, you'll get stronger and move past the 85lbs soon enough.

Inferred questions:
    1) Yes, you should have something to eat before heading to the gym in the morning. There are posts about early morning workouts with suggestions, and if I recall, some of them just make sure to eat big before bed so they are ready in the morning. Also make sure you are eating enough. Given your stats, you can definitely benefit in this program by getting up to about 200lbs over the next 12-16 weeks. Some will be fat, but you'll get muscle as well so you can get stronger.

2) Reread the book, and jump ahead to the section on Programming (page 291). The SSNLP program is not a 5x5 program, and I'm surprised using the app you would get that impression or be able to add in 5 working sets.

3) You are a bit in your head. Get in there and use the best form that you can. Without a coach, it will not be optimal and it will be something that you correct and adjust over time. You'd do the same with a coach, but with a good coach form issues will get caught and corrected sooner. As for going to a coach for an initial session with the lifts; if you are willing to pay for the coaching, then 2+ hours each way isn't too bad. It's a day trip, but not too bad.

One workout is great, and glad you're in there. Get in there consistently and add weight to the bar.

"I've carefully read through the book just passed the exercises I did today..."

Narrator: "In actuality, he had not read the book carefully."

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by dgoldstein78 View Post
    Hello everyone, <plus lots of other stuff>
    to be honest, you are probably just overthinking and under-prepared.
    I think that skimming the book at least once is necessary, it gives you a feel for the main lifts. I say skimming because sitting down analysing all the minutiae of each lift the first time round would be time consuming, and pointless. You need some time under the bar before you can appreciate some of the details in the book.

So, first, read the book.

Second, get under the bar, and limit yourself to just that. I don't think you need to log your weights and review every rep the first time you squat. Hell, I think that if you don't have access to a coach, the first time it's ok to squat in front of a mirror, checking every now and then that you are symmetric, that the bar is level, and that your depth is acceptable. That's plenty of things to do for your first session, without the added distractions of trying to work out the app, playing videos, and stuff.

If you have never done this stuff, and consider yourself too stiff/too spatially unaware/too clumsy to execute a good lift first time round, just give yourself a couple of sessions to make a few attempts, feel your way through the movements, get familiar with the equipment. Nothing is going to change if you start logging/apping/videoing a week later.

You will be fine, and it probably won't take too long.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Clyde welcomes you as well. I would say to keep re-reading the book, and I've found posting videos on this forum garners good advice (but only if you're really trying your best). I think I've improved over the past several months, but have more to learn. I hope to attend a squat/DL camp once one comes to my area to try to accelerate my training/form. Welcome again!

Dillion,

Thanks for the guidance! I will absolutely follow.

I made an error, my working sets were in threes, not fives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Welcome!

You need to finish reading the book. A few things are immediately apparent.

If you feel you're not flexible enough to get your knees out, your stance may be too wide. If you couldn't complete your first press workout, you absolutely need to back the weight off and select a starting weight as described in the book. There's no way your first press workout should be almost the same as your squats and deads. The novice program is 3 sets of 5, not 5x5. Deadlifts are only one set of 5.

Finish the book, pronto, and take some form check videos if you're worried about it. Better than wasting your time doing shit wrong.
    Jeff,

Thank you!

I did find out that that one NJ SSC coach that was 2 hours away actually moved to one county over from me and am in touch with him finding out details. So far none of the seminars have been either close enough or during a time that I could be available, but I'll keep my eyes out as they're announced.

I am trying to get more familiar with the nutrition side of things. It's a bit difficult since my wife and I eat a lot of ethnic food and recipes that don't always have related nutritional information - we have a few hundred cook books So, I'm trying to learn how to moderately fast a bit for the day-to-day meals I have control over - usually breakfast and lunch during the week. I just need to figure out a way to make better nutritional choices and still allow practical flexibility for our lifestyle.

I will read, ask questions and continue to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Welcome. I was you 7 years ago; 41, 175 6'0". I'm 48 now 225 lbs and stronger than I've ever been in my entire life. Smartest decision I ever made was to go to a seminar at the start of this journey. Form unlocks the key to progress. Go see a coach or get to a seminar. Go to Santana's nutrition forum and ask him what kind of macros you should be eating. You will not get stronger by not eating. Post technique videos often or join SSOC (after seeing an in-person coach). Thats what the boards are about. Read the stickys on how to film them and get good with basic editing software so we don't have to watch you adjust your ass for 5 minutes before you unrack the bar. Read, re-read and read some more of SS 3rd edition, PPST and TBP. Feedback is your friend. Post only to the coaches forum if you want to minimize random feedback. That being said, there are many on the boards who are not SSC's who know a hell of alot about form, programming and nutrition.

Strength will come. Be patient but committed. It will be the easiest hard thing you've ever done.
    No, I have not read the complete book.

But yes, what I've read so far I have tried to ingrain. But I will absolutely be regularly re-reading the sections until both the mental knowledge and form implementation become second nature to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    "I've carefully read through the book just passed the exercises I did today..."

Narrator: "In actuality, he had not read the book carefully."
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gottstein View Post
    First off, welcome to the SS forum, and the start of a great path to increased strength. Regarding your 2 explicit questions:

I'm probably just not flexible enough to go as low as maybe is best?
    I'm not sure legs feeling tight towards the bottom is a bad thing, and it's hard to tell what exactly is meant. It's doubtful that you are too inflexible to reach depth (the question I think you are asking), and only a video would really give us enough information to help you out. You can also review the common squat problems in the book to see if you need to make any adjustments.

Does this mean I need to back off the weight?
    Yes, you started too high, and you should back the weight off. I'd go to at least 65lbs, and maybe even as low as 55lbs. You may be able to lift more, but I'd want to start off getting better on form with less than too heavy weight. As the weight on the bar goes up, you'll get stronger and move past the 85lbs soon enough.

Inferred questions:
    1) Yes, you should have something to eat before heading to the gym in the morning. There are posts about early morning workouts with suggestions, and if I recall, some of them just make sure to eat big before bed so they are ready in the morning. Also make sure you are eating enough. Given your stats, you can definitely benefit in this program by getting up to about 200lbs over the next 12-16 weeks. Some will be fat, but you'll get muscle as well so you can get stronger.

2) Reread the book, and jump ahead to the section on Programming (page 291). The SSNLP program is not a 5x5 program, and I'm surprised using the app you would get that impression or be able to add in 5 working sets.

3) You are a bit in your head. Get in there and use the best form that you can. Without a coach, it will not be optimal and it will be something that you correct and adjust over time. You'd do the same with a coach, but with a good coach form issues will get caught and corrected sooner. As for going to a coach for an initial session with the lifts; if you are willing to pay for the coaching, then 2+ hours each way isn't too bad. It's a day trip, but not too bad.

One workout is great, and glad you're in there. Get in there consistently and add weight to the bar.

Adam, thank you for the thorough response!

Yes, I will work on getting some videos for form evaluation.

I interpreted the warm-up sets to start adding weight until I felt the bar slow down and that's why I ended up with the weights for the working sets. But, backing down will now obviously allow me to really get a better feel for form first and then deal with adding weight later. So, as per yours and other's suggestions, I'll drop back down to 55-65 lbs total.

On the inferred questions, I had been advised on the Team Legion group (Mike Matthews followers) to cut first to get my body fat down closer to 10% and then bulk from there. I haven't actually implemented any cutting/bulking or changed my diet significantly yet since I'm not confident on what to change and how to integrate whatever changes I need into what my wife and I tend to eat together. She has fitness needs as well, but we're big foodies (ethnic food), so balancing the enjoyment of eating various foods needs to be kept in mind when I/we address nutritional requirements.

I will absolutely be reading and referencing the book multiple times. I'm about half-way through the Bench Press chapter as of last night. I'll find that and then jump to Programming.

On the coach situation, it turns out he moved one county over from me. We're in touch and sorting out costs/scheduling details.

Very good, dg. Good luck with your strength journey. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Check out the videos where Rip is coaching people on the lifts—they’re all on the SS YouTube channel. I found those a great supplement to the book, and many others have too. It’s also helpful to see people perform the lifts as they should be, as opposed to just still pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast