starting strength gym

Thread: Power off the floor in power cleans?

Default Power off the floor in power cleans?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've read through SS and PP and watched numerous video demonstrations but am either missing or unable to find an answer.

Why do we not explode from the floor with power cleans? It seems to be broken down into 2 movements instead of one fluid one?

CONTEXT: I'm coming into SS to do a bit of LP after a weight cut so had not performed the movement before. I had a deadlift strength peaking at 405 for 9 reps so I wonder if its that disparity in strength that causes this issue for me. I have a lot of power off the floor in my deadlift so it seems odd to me to move slowly till the bar touches my thighs and then explode? Could I not do the entire movement explosively? Seems to me if I pulled with full power from the floor I would have more momentum to move more weight when the bar reaches my thighs.

Thanks

The bar accelerates off the floor in a clean. We teach it slowly off the floor to establish correct technique and add the acceleration after it's learned. Just like it says in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The bar accelerates off the floor in a clean. We teach it slowly off the floor to establish correct technique and add the acceleration after it's learned. Just like it says in the book.
    Thanks for the clarification, come to think of it I do remember you saying that in the vid you did with Brett Mckay, gonna go re-read that chapter, thanks for your time Rip.