starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Can you please check my form? I've been trying to work on the knee slide, but I have not been successful. I am pushing my knees out as hard as I can at the top. I tried to fix it with "knees to nipples" but I don't think I used the cue correctly.

Thanks!

You are sending your knees forward but not out enough. There's no room for your midsection, and so to get depth, you're sliding. Widen your stance a bit and shove your knees VERY FAR OUT. Have you done the drill where you squat down without the bar, put your hands together, and shove your knees out with your elbows? If not, do so. Get used to being VERY FAR OUT.

Your valsalva is leaking. Shouldn't be grunting so much on the way up. The air is held against a closed glottis. Try saying "Hut!" before you squat. Don't let the air leak out.

Coach Kurt,

Thank you for the advice. I widened the stance and pushed my knees out hard, which fixed the sliding on the decent. My knees are still sliding back as I ascend. I was gruntless the first two sets, so I need to keep working on that. Thank you again for the tips.

Sebastian

Ok, now check your eye gaze. See how you are looking down between your toes? Look out 4-5 feet in front of you. Pace it off. Point your eye lasers at that point. This will get your thoracic spine less rounded, which will help you get more back angle on the way down, which will help you get your knees set better. Right now you aren't getting your back angle set properly, you're just looking down between your toes.

You need to bend over more, and fixing your eye position will help you do it.