starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - 250 lbs.

Default Squat Form Check - 250 lbs.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2019.06.16-MHMSS-SquatForm - Streamable

The linked video shows my third and fourth sets at 250 lbs. I am rigidly following the program; I only filmed a fourth set because I hadn't realized that my feet were blocked by a stray plate in the first video.

I had been going too deep and losing tightness, so I've been trying to cut my depth and fear that I am becoming inconsistent. I can tell from watching the bar path that I am tipping forward at the bottom and when I pay strict attention to my my weight I sometimes feel more pressure on my heels than on my mid-foot. I also find myself unable to maintain as rigid a lumbar spine as I would like.

Thank you very much for taking a look.

I think you self diagnosed this pretty well. Your depth looks borderline on some of these reps, that's true. I think you're ending a lot of them an inch too high. Try setting the camera up at knee height from the side and review this in between sets in the absence of having a that can cue you during your set. You're right in that you're pushing a lot of these reps slightly from your toes, your heels are coming off the ground slightly. I'd say that you should do a set and record it with reaching your hips back despite the "pressure" on your heels and see how that looks because even if it ends being incorrect, it's not like your form right now in these sets is perfect anyway. Record it and see what it looks like focusing on that. Your lumbar looks good on the way down, but as you start ascending you see some rounding (especially on the last reps of you sets). You're not losing that tightness because you're going down too far, so make sure you're bracing against your belt (think of tight abs). Also, you have a bit of knee cave happening as well, so focus on shoving your knees out (also it's hard to check from this view but if your stance is too wide this becomes hard to see). You need to make sure your knees are tracking over your feet. Your issues are all things that if you had a good coach present they'd sort out in very short order.

Thank you, Justin. It's a lot to think about. I really appreciate all of the possibilities that you mentioned. I will record a set as you described tomorrow. Would you recommend reducing the weight or keeping the weight as-is to reveal my shortcomings/

I would love to have a consistent coach - it's not a lack of commitment that's holding me back. I had one session some time ago in NYC, but the coaches are very few and very far from me.