starting strength gym

Thread: lower back strain/fatigue

Default lower back strain/fatigue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm experiencing a sensation of lower back strain and fatigue that starts early in my workouts and could start to limit my progress. It's a feeling like one gets after hard sets of back extensions, and seems to be more on the right side of my back rather than evenly distributed. The feeling begins even during my light warm-up sets, which makes me think it isn't just normal fatigue from training.

Last night I got through my heavy squat sets fine except for this feeling of strain, which between sets had me doing gentle twists, hanging from a chinup bar, trying to find a way to loosen it up. I could still feel it well into my bench press sets. Last night was a medium day for me on deadlifts, two sets about 10% off my 5 rep max training weight, and I got through them all right but the feeling of lower-back strain came roaring back, so that picking up my belt off the floor was a significant undertaking.

I don't have current videos of my form, I can take some. Thought I would ask anyway in case this is a well-known/recognized issue that can be diagnosed from my description. I wonder if it might have to do with the way I take the bar out of the rack and step back to my squat stance--I might be overextending my lower back when I get under the bar.

I should say that I am not sore the day after, doesn't seem to be an injury.

Thanks.

Tom

I had similar issue. If it's not getting worse you should probably ignore it. Mine was getting worse so I did only rack pulls for a few weeks and it went away.

Nobody can teach you how to deal with injuries except you.

This sounds like a job for a video of your lifts.