starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Overhead Press form check

Question Squat and Overhead Press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello!
    I`m very happy that found this forum and I have the privilege to be here!
    I`ve started strength training 23 November 2018. I`m very happy with it and I`m feeling much better. I am a programmer, by the way. I`ve started to lift weights because I felt some weakness in my lower back. Sorry for my English, in advance, isn`t my native language.
    I was brought here because I felt some strange pain in the left knee when I`m squatting when I start the training (only with the bar). And I had wasted squat sets because of that pain in my left knee. The pain isn`t so strong that I can't squat but it's very uncomfortable as I`m lifting my maximum weights at the moment and everything is important to finish my set.

Approximately here is the pain:
    Screenshot by Lightshot

Could you please check my Squat form:
    YouTube
    The aim was 3 sets of 5 reps.

I also made a video of my Overhead Press as I did it on the same day:
    YouTube
    The aim was 5 sets of 5 reps.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome.
    Don't worry about your English. Some of the native speakers here still have issues.

When posting videos, please only post one set of 5 that's been edited from the time you unrack to the time you finish. Ideally it should be your heaviest work set. If we need to see more or a different angle, someone may ask. But you're less likely to get a response with a 4 minute video of your whole routine. If you can get everything from head to toe in the shot, that's better.

I only looked at your squat. You need to lean over much more than you are now and think about sending your hips back and away from your feet. You're coming down with your torso too upright, so you end up shoving the knees forward and getting your weight on your toes. Also, the last set were mostly at parallel, so you need to get a couple centimeters deeper.
    I think if you're able to keep the knees from punching forward at the bottom, and staying midfoot, while keeping the hips away from the feet, it may help to not piss off your knee.
    Work on those two things for now. Depth and lean over more.