starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check #3

Default Squat Form Check #3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

This was my last Form Check Squat Form Check #2

Since then i worked on my timing, especially on setting my knees early, and staying tight in the buttom. I just wanted some feedback. Thanks.

YouTube

Hey Rochus

The hip and knee timing look fine. You're just not getting leaned over enough, so the knees never actually stop moving forward until you get all the way down to depth.
    I'm concerned about these elbows that look cranked up. I don't think I remember seeing this, but may have been from a different angle. At any rate, your elbows are too high up, which means your upper back is likely not in extension. Without your upper back in extension, it's going to be tough to get confident in leaning over, sending the hips back and keeping the knees in place.

Lift your chest and pull your elbows down so the upper back can get set into extension. This should keep the bar pinned in place. Then lean over from the start and send the hips back away from your feet. This should keep you off your toes and stretch out the hamstrings to get the "bounce" we're looking for out of the bottom.

See if that helps. We still want the hips and knees to break at the same time, just aim your nipples at the ground and in between your knees as you start the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Rochus

The hip and knee timing look fine. You're just not getting leaned over enough, so the knees never actually stop moving forward until you get all the way down to depth.
    I'm concerned about these elbows that look cranked up. I don't think I remember seeing this, but may have been from a different angle. At any rate, your elbows are too high up, which means your upper back is likely not in extension. Without your upper back in extension, it's going to be tough to get confident in leaning over, sending the hips back and keeping the knees in place.

Lift your chest and pull your elbows down so the upper back can get set into extension. This should keep the bar pinned in place. Then lean over from the start and send the hips back away from your feet. This should keep you off your toes and stretch out the hamstrings to get the "bounce" we're looking for out of the bottom.

See if that helps. We still want the hips and knees to break at the same time, just aim your nipples at the ground and in between your knees as you start the squat.
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for taking you time and your feedback, much appriciated. I will work on that and see if i can fix that.

Here is my last set from todays training. The set felt actually really decent, but i wonder if my knees are set early enough.

YouTube