starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift form check after 4 weeks of NLP

Default Squat and Deadlift form check after 4 weeks of NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

Started training from empty bar 4 weeks ago, and wanted to do a quick form check on the Squat and the Deadlift if that's OK.
    To make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Thanks!

Squat:
    Gym Day 12 Squat 120 | Nest

Deadlift:
    Gym Day 12 Deadlift 170 | Nest

Stats:
    6'1''
    187lbs (+10 lbs in 4 weeks)

Screenshot_20190629-220719.jpg

Hey.

I only watched the squats. If you're able to get more of an angled shot at about 45 from the rear, that would be helpful for next time.

Cut the depth off about an inch so the hip crease is just below the top of the knee cap. You're going a bit too deep and your low back is coming out of extension.
    Think about sending the ass back away from the feet as you start, and stretch out the hamstrings, keeping the knees from traveling forward the entire time you descend to depth.
    On the way up I'd like to see more hip drive. Shove your hips up out of the bottom like the bar is across your low back.

I'd work on that for now. Good luck.

Hi Pete, thanks for the feedback that's awesome!

I remember coach Broggi saying that my d**k should point to the back wall (or a variation of that just like Rip's)!
    I was sending the knees out too fast and going too deep.
    Since the "fix" I don't get knee pain anymore.
    Also I'm working on getting my low back tighter (lumbars contracted) which I know is my weakness.

Today's squat:
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey.

I only watched the squats. If you're able to get more of an angled shot at about 45 from the rear, that would be helpful for next time.

Cut the depth off about an inch so the hip crease is just below the top of the knee cap. You're going a bit too deep and your low back is coming out of extension.
    Think about sending the ass back away from the feet as you start, and stretch out the hamstrings, keeping the knees from traveling forward the entire time you descend to depth.
    On the way up I'd like to see more hip drive. Shove your hips up out of the bottom like the bar is across your low back.

I'd work on that for now. Good luck.

Hey. You're welcome.
    The lean over looks a little better. First rep was high, but the rest looked fine on depth.
    I know you're trying to keep the lumbar spine tight, but it's still wiggly. You need to take a much bigger breath and brace the hell out of your abs. I should be able to hear you taking the breath in at the top to get the Valsalva right. Big breath into your belly and brace for a punch with the trunk muscles.

Bring your stance in a bit and turn the toes out more. So your heels are under your shoulder and your toes are out about 30 degrees. Then shove your knees out as you descend and keep them out.

More hips out of the bottom. Exaggerate the hip drive out of the bottom so there's no doubt you understand what to do when we watch your video next time.

There's a couple other things, but work on those three things for now.
    Good luck!

Pete, you're awesome, thanks for the feedback.
    I've been trying to incorporate your feedback but realized I would benefit from a SSC on a more regular basis.
    I'm now working with a SSC online and I see it is really useful especially during NLP.
    I really appreciate you helping out newbies and making SS brand better!

FYI, here's my latest Squat.
    YouTube