Thread: Squat Form Check #2

Default Squat Form Check #2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Coaches,

Here's my most recent third set of squats, @ 102.5kg:
    YouTube

This is my second workout after I lowered the weight to 100kg after Mark's excellent feedback on this 117.5kg set here:

YouTube
    Squat Form Check @ PR 117.5 KG

So in yesterday's workout I tried to focus on keeping the bar lower on my back and getting my lower back in extension before descending. I'm trying to do that by bracing (taking a deep breath) and trying to lift my butt up ("drop your dick between your thighs") as I take a deep breath and I tighten my abs (but not pull pelvis up to belly button, like I was doing before). This might not be the best cue for bracing and getting in extension but it's what I gathered together from various YouTube vids on the subject (and what felt most natural).

For the bar position I'm just trying to keep it lower than feels comfortable, and with my feet I know I shouldn't be "dancing" after I get out of the rack, but it's because I want to keep my feet just a little wider than I think is shoulder width and the foot angle narrower than I'd like (earlier I was setting them way too wide because this made the squats easier, I thought).

If the bar looks uneven as I rack/unrack or as I come up, that's probably because of lingering left-side weakness from a head injury that I suffered as a kid (the effects of which were very similar to a stroke-the left side of my body was "paralyzed" until I relearned the neural pathways to use the left side of my body again).

So I'd appreciate any feedback on how this all looks, if I'm moving in the right direction and what I still need to fix, especially in reference to lumbar extension. Thank you!!

This is another set after coach rippetoe's feedback on the high bar position and "excruciating" lumber flexion:
    YouTube

Is my lower back in good extension before descending now?
    Also, are the feet in good width and at an OK angle? It feels like my right foot is straddled further back then the left, but this just feels more comfortable and I think it's a lingering weakness from my head injury. Will this later cause big problems, to have the right foot further back rather than in line with the left? Do I need to just consciously fix this before the weight gets heavy or is it safe to leave as-is? Thank you!

Quite a bit better. Not perfectly tight in the low back, but getting there. Depth is good, hips are leading out of the hole, an improvement. Narrow your stance a hair.