starting strength gym

Thread: Bottom position of the knees and ascent

Default Bottom position of the knees and ascent

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone, my question is in regards to the ascent ( also, using the TUBOW) and how to physically activate the knees. I don’t know about terminology.

Basically, when I get to the bottom of the squat( knees forward and out) I begin to push my knees back and lift up with the hips.

Is this proper mechanics? ( I’m referencing figure 2-49 3rd edition , with the arrow pushing back against the knee cap)

I’m wondering if this is right ? As I seem to struggle with holding my knees in place at the bottom and not bouncing off of them upon the ascent.

Much appreciated if someone could explain. Thank you.

Video?

Sir, thank you for the reply.

YouTube

I’m about 6’1” 195 lbs and I’ve started to squat in the last year or so.

I’m developing some sensitivity in my right quad tendon. I’m guessing due to improper technique. Just looking for some help.

Why are you just standing there after unracking the bar? Just get tight, squeeze, deep breath, and squat. You're sucking out a huge amount of energy by standing there holding the bar up. The same between reps. Take a couple of breaths, maybe 2-3 seconds, that's all.

As for the squat, I'm of the opinion that your stance is a bit wide, but your depth doesn't seem to be suffering. I would like to see your knees come forward more, to close the knee angle/open the hip angle and take some pressure off your your quad tendon.

Everything else looks good. Back is tight, grip looks good. Just stay tight, control your descent, and bounce out of the hole. Shoes and sandwiches are in order.

I think you should follow this simple instruction and then understand squat technique
    Proper Squat Form
    Step 1: Stand with feet a little wider than hip width, toes facing front.

Step 2: Drive your hips back—bending at the knees and ankles and pressing your knees slightly open—as you…

Step 3: Sit into a squat position while still keeping your heels and toes on the ground, chest up and shoulders back.

Step 4: Strive to eventually reach parallel, meaning knees are bent to a 90-degree angle.

Step 5: Press into your heels and straighten legs to return to a standing upright position.

What????

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by evanssophiya View Post
    I think you should follow this simple instruction and then understand squat technique
    Proper Squat Form
    Step 1: Stand with feet a little wider than hip width, toes facing front.

Step 2: Drive your hips back—bending at the knees and ankles and pressing your knees slightly open—as you…

Step 3: Sit into a squat position while still keeping your heels and toes on the ground, chest up and shoulders back.

Step 4: Strive to eventually reach parallel, meaning knees are bent to a 90-degree angle.

Step 5: Press into your heels and straighten legs to return to a standing upright position.
    tmp_97ct09_7e85ea28cfcce5df_Basic-Squat.jpg

The Squat. Right?