starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 5'6" 178lbs. Just getting into SS a few weeks ago and trying to kick some bad habits. I'd really appreciate a form check on the squat and deadlift.

Squat at 265lb To me, it felt right but looking at the video it is pretty close on whether I'm passing parallel or not, would love another opinion and any pointers. Any tips on a better video angle when squating in a rack?

Deadlift 295lb

Thanks for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelgoldstein View Post
    I'm 5'6" 178lbs. Just getting into SS a few weeks ago and trying to kick some bad habits. I'd really appreciate a form check on the squat and deadlift.

Squat at 265lb To me, it felt right but looking at the video it is pretty close on whether I'm passing parallel or not, would love another opinion and any pointers. Any tips on a better video angle when squating in a rack?

Deadlift 295lb

Thanks for any feedback.
    Your squat looks pretty good, maybe just a touch above parallel, try and go an inch deeper.

For the deadlift: the bar is swinging away from your legs at the bottom (particularly the first rep which is not unusual), focus on pulling the bar tight against your legs with your lats and drag it up your legs.

At the top of the deadlift you are pulling your head back and shrugging your shoulders (look at the last rep). Pull your shoulders back, not up, and keep your head neutral. Focus on pushing your hips through and locking out your knees with your chest proud.

Quote Originally Posted by disperse View Post
    Your squat looks pretty good, maybe just a touch above parallel, try and go an inch deeper.

For the deadlift: the bar is swinging away from your legs at the bottom (particularly the first rep which is not unusual), focus on pulling the bar tight against your legs with your lats and drag it up your legs.

At the top of the deadlift you are pulling your head back and shrugging your shoulders (look at the last rep). Pull your shoulders back, not up, and keep your head neutral. Focus on pushing your hips through and locking out your knees with your chest proud.
    Why is the bar swinging away from his legs? (Hint: it doesn’t involve musculature.)

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Why is the bar swinging away from his legs? (Hint: it doesn’t involve musculature.)
    The bar is starting forward of mid-foot which puts his hips too low and his shoulders in front of the bar. Make sure the bar is 1 inch from your shins when you set up and don't let the bar roll forward when you set up.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I didn't have notifications setup properly and didn't see this response (I recorded todays set, but it was a miss at 325lb). I attempted to slow down and reset after every lift, but I trained before reading this feedback. Some things I noted on this set: head too high, still a little bit of swing, and still a little shrug at the top. If you're bored and want to check it out, here is the link: YouTube Let me know if you see anything else if you do.

I'll post back next week when I hit deadlifts again and try to incorporate the feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgoldstein View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I didn't have notifications setup properly and didn't see this response (I recorded todays set, but it was a miss at 325lb). I attempted to slow down and reset after every lift, but I trained before reading this feedback. Some things I noted on this set: head too high, still a little bit of swing, and still a little shrug at the top. If you're bored and want to check it out, here is the link: YouTube Let me know if you see anything else if you do.

I'll post back next week when I hit deadlifts again and try to incorporate the feedback.
    Replay the video again and watch the bar closely. Each rep when you get ready to pull you drop your hips and the bar rolls forward an inch or two. Focus on keeping your hips high, just bring your shins into contact with the bar, and as Rip says "DO NOT MOVE THE BAR".