starting strength gym

Thread: Squat x2

Default Squat x2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, so after a few weeks of practicing I'm back with a new squat video.

Previously, I wasn't shoving out my knees enough and was unbalanced over my foot. This was covered here

Self-diagnosis:

- Knees are looking better. They are shoved out more.
    - Balance over my foot is better, although not perfect?
    - Maybe some wrist flexion?

Anyway, would be good to know if I'm heading in the right direction?

Video:
    YouTube

Thanks

Should probably add my right elbow still feels like it's taking strain.

Stance looks wide and toes pointed out too much. That's likely contributing to the still there knee caving.

Your right elbow is feeling it because it's cranked up along with your wrist. You are looking straight down at the floor and I'm not 100% OK with your whole upper back situation. I'd like to see your grip come in closer, you shrugging less, and you getting your chest up more.

Finally, your hips are leading your knees at the start of the movement. You're feeling for the bottom instead of hitting it and bouncing up.

I think if you adjust your stance and unlocking, things will feel better. Definitely work on your bar grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Stance looks wide and toes pointed out too much. That's likely contributing to the still there knee caving.

Your right elbow is feeling it because it's cranked up along with your wrist. You are looking straight down at the floor and I'm not 100% OK with your whole upper back situation. I'd like to see your grip come in closer, you shrugging less, and you getting your chest up more.

Finally, your hips are leading your knees at the start of the movement. You're feeling for the bottom instead of hitting it and bouncing up.

I think if you adjust your stance and unlocking, things will feel better. Definitely work on your bar grip.
    Thanks for the feedback Satch. This shit is hard to nail on man...

Could you elaborate on what you mean by cranked? In terms of grip placement, that is the pretty much the closest I can get at the moment without my wrists bending. I've been working on shoulder mobility for a little while now, but seems to have plateaued and I'm pretty sure my current shoulder mobility is causing the issue with shrugging.

"your hips are leading your knees at the start of the movement". So essentially you're saying I need to better synchronise dropping my knees and hips at the same time?

Thanks for the feedback

You're hunched over and trying to make your upper back into a table for the barbell. Get your chest up and elbows up as you unrack, as the Book says. Looks like your rack height is a touch high, too.

Bill Hannon explains what you're doing with your upper back.

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon