starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form!

Default Squat and deadlift form!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I’ve been on LP for about 3 and half months now and am really enjoying it! I’ve lived a completely lazy lifestyle for past 10 years as you can tell from my body in the videos.

I’ve had multiple setbacks along the way, Re injured my torn ACL (unrelated to training) which required me to miss about 4-5 weeks. I also strained my quad well squatting which also set me back for squat and deadlift for few weeks.

Age 32
    5”11
    BF% unsure.. high 20s, to low 30s?
    Squat was 275 now 230
    DL 285 was 315
    OHP 145
    Bench Press 215

Please have a look at my deadlift here
    YouTube

My squat here! What am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? I seem to be scared to commit to depth? Or am I doing something preventing me from doing so?

YouTube

Thanks so much!

The bar on pulls is forward . Raise your hips up. Weight is still light for you, add 5.

Squats look ok.

Just to add to what Ivan's saying about your deadlift, check out how far you knock the bar forwards when you bring your shins to the bar while dropping your hips. It's most pronounced on the first rep. Keep the hips high when you bring your shins to it and DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. Then make setting your back a distinct step of its own. You're also lowering the bar around your knees. To lower, hips back first, then break at the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    The bar on pulls is forward . Raise your hips up. Weight is still light for you, add 5.

Squats look ok.
    Thank you Ivan, appreciate it. I’ll work on keeping my hips up for next workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Just to add to what Ivan's saying about your deadlift, check out how far you knock the bar forwards when you bring your shins to the bar while dropping your hips. It's most pronounced on the first rep. Keep the hips high when you bring your shins to it and DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. Then make setting your back a distinct step of its own. You're also lowering the bar around your knees. To lower, hips back first, then break at the knees.
    It’s amazing to me that I didn’t notice the bar movement at all until you mention. Thank you!

Anyone else got any pointers for either lift?