starting strength gym

Thread: Dips - avoiding shoulder impingement

Default Dips - avoiding shoulder impingement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone have any tips or cues for how to perform dips without putting the shoulder into that forward position that can cause impingement?

I am in the process of moving my training into a garage gym. It is far better equipped to do my primary work, but I have far fewer options for accessory stuff. Dips are an option, and I found them to be a very productive accessory movement when I was younger. I dropped them after my first shoulder injury because I felt I couldn't prevent the shoulder going into the position that delicate position, but I havent tried them for years and am wondering if anyone has walked this path?

Get a chance to watch Rip's fairly recent vid on it? How to do Dips | Mark Rippetoe.

Bill Starr has some good advice (IMO) also regarding easing into them before adding weight, and doing them safely: The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press | Bill Starr.

Rip says in his video to avoid or be very careful w/ Dips if you have rotator cuff problems. That said, I've had (non-training caused) injuries on both shoulders, probably one of the rotator cuff muscles for each of them. When either Bench and/or Press started to bother one or the other, I'd drop Dips into the program as a replacement - typically for Bench. Usually, for whatever reason, the pain would resolve while still allowing some gainZzz. I've never had a diagnosis, so my injuries might not even be relevant to yours though.

Also from what I've seen, Andy Baker almost always prescribes them as an assistance exercise at lower intensity for higher reps - sounds like that's what you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Anyone have any tips or cues for how to perform dips without putting the shoulder into that forward position that can cause impingement?
    I've never felt any impingement doing them more or less as described in the book and the above video, going just to or maybe slightly below "parallel".

Good luck.

Never do them on rings. Never never ever.

Not a SSC, but I’ve had a lot of success increasing my press and bench this year largely due to the addition of dips (after reading starr’s article)

When i was a youngster i did these the wrong way with my chest sticking way up and my shoulders shrugging up and down. Hurt my shoulder and didnt do them again for 15 years or so. Now i have no shoulder issues with dips, bench or press.

Couple things i think about:

*Aiming my chest down with my abs squeezed like a squat. Hips are back a bit.
    * squeezing my chest forward slightly as i descend, but keeping it angled down. You should feel a bit of a stretch on your pecs and anterior delt at the bottom.
    *locking out with my chest angled down slightly and pressing my shoulders down hard. I really feel the lower part of my pecs contract hard here, as well as the serratus anterior (these “boxer muscles” have developed nicely since i started doing dips again).

Again, I’m not a coach and can’t say this is 100% the correct way of doing them. If any coaches want to correct me, i’m all ears!