starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie squat and DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Large have you ever thought of getting SSC coaching? In person or online? I have the same herniation in my back too

Squat shoes will likely get you to depth.

I highly recommend working with a SSC - these guys know their shit.

What Al suggests above,
    and I'm no coach.

I'm having a little trouble judging depth, between the dark shorts, distance, and the camera is a little too high, should be down at hip height.
    But I think you're still an inch too high on a couple of these, and need to fix this before adding the weight.

and the tentative decent,
    is that pain? or, hoping not to feel it?
    I went back and watched your 1st bottom pos vid and you pretty much drop down and come back up.
    here I'm seeing a step or two where you're searching for depth, or that phantom pain, which is it?

bottom pos vid I was going to suggest a inch less between your heels,
    here I'm wondering if an inch more would help.
    you might try slight variation and see what lets you drop down best,
    feet at 30s, knees out over your toes, smooth decent down, not stopping, and pop back up,
    keep videoing, even your warmups, and watch each before the next, get your depth.

Hey Alberto. Funny story, I was actually on my way to see a SSC the day my disc herniated. I had an appointment that morning in Atlanta and it’s a 3 hour drive for me. I woke up and went to put my underwear on then my leg lit up like a Christmas tree. I was trying to decide if I could make a 3 hour drive with my leg feeling that way. I thought maybe if I did the right stretch I could get the pain to go away. I tried to stretch and when I did I hit the ground in a heap. Crawled my way to bed and laid there for 24 hours.

I’d go see the coach now but I’ve got 3 kids under 4 years old so it’s hard as hell to get out of the house. Plus I’d have to take a day off work. I’m definitely going to look into OSSC. I’d prefer to see one in person though.

How’s your herniation coming along?

Neilc1 and Soule, thanks a lot for the feedback. I’m definitely going to try and line up coaching.

As for the depth, I’m definitely not dropping hip crease below patella so I’m high probably by 3-4 inches.

I’ve clearly lost my feel for depth. I feel so deep when I’m at the bottom and I’m barely hitting parallel if that. It’s a combination of fear and just feeling uncomfortable. Some reps I feel my low back pull just a little, like pulling a muscle that’s seized up and tightened. That definitely gets my attention. After my 2nd rep my butt was spasming and twitching. I think I’m waking up nerves and muscles that have been dormant and it’s not very comfortable waking them up. Anyways, I’m going to keep working on depth and will be careful on the weight increases, thanks!

I think you need to find a light enough load that you can drop down to depth naturally and smoothly,
    and as that is comfortable, then add 5 pounds,

I mean,
    , , , see a coach,

Well, I think I’ve squeezed all I can out of this post without seeing a coach, but here’s one last round of videos:

Squat: I appreciate any feedback:

YouTube

Here’s a DL video. These are feeling really good to me. Still need to get my C spine more neutral and work on setting the bar down with hips back:

YouTube

Thanks!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by A Large Hand View Post
    Hey Alberto. Funny story, I was actually on my way to see a SSC the day my disc herniated. I had an appointment that morning in Atlanta and it’s a 3 hour drive for me. I woke up and went to put my underwear on then my leg lit up like a Christmas tree. I was trying to decide if I could make a 3 hour drive with my leg feeling that way. I thought maybe if I did the right stretch I could get the pain to go away. I tried to stretch and when I did I hit the ground in a heap. Crawled my way to bed and laid there for 24 hours.

I’d go see the coach now but I’ve got 3 kids under 4 years old so it’s hard as hell to get out of the house. Plus I’d have to take a day off work. I’m definitely going to look into OSSC. I’d prefer to see one in person though.

How’s your herniation coming along?
    Talk about bad luck! Wow! Well I was first diagnosis about 10 years ago. Doc said it could've been result of my car accident from '98 or just aging. I first got depressed but eventually got under the bar. Then 3 year ago a SSC moved to my area. I was struggling with the low bar position of the squat. After a few sessions and with partial shoulder separation with arthritis (again due to the car accident) we decided Safety Squat Bar is best for me. No bench press but I can overhead press and deadlift. As for the herniation there is no doubt in my mind that squats and deadlifts made the difference. I have not taken pain killers in years. In fact I started participate in powerlifting again (deadlift only). Large if you decide to try visit Atlanta again for coaching it will be well worth it. Good luck sir!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123