starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie squat and DL form check

Default Newbie squat and DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Newbie recovering from L5/S1 herniation. Been working on my form. Thanks in advance for pointers!

DL 1x5 135 lbs
    Squat 3x5 130 lbs

YouTube

YouTube

Is your back still bothering you? hurting?
    You look way tentative in both lifts, like you're expecting it to snap.

the squat, isn't deep enough, missing by 3 ~ 4 inches,
    and we can't see you feet, which me thinks are too narrow,
    heels should be shoulder width,
    toes should be out, you're aiming for 30*, both sides,
    knees track over your toes,
    a wider stance should help make depth easier to get to,
    lighten up the bar some till you find depth.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t even know what “hurts” means anymore. My back has been in pain for years, so yes it hurts but I am pretty oblivious to it now. What I am trying to avoid is a crippling injury that greatly impairs me. I have confidence that if I can keep my back in extension and avoid flexion during the lift then I will at least prevent another herniation, so me being timid is extreme focus on my lower back and maintaining tightness. I also think this is making it difficult for me to hit depth. Plus, I’m having a very hard time finding depth anyways. If you notice on the first rep I kind of hitch. I stop and then continue just a little lower before starting back up. That first stop is where I actually “feel” parallel and like I have a good rebound out of the hamstrings. However, I know from watching film that I’m not low enough when I feel the rebound so I try and get a bit lower. Anyways, thanks for the input. I’m going to keep working on depth and will try to get a better shot showing my feet. I do think my stance is pretty good, but maybe it could be wider. Thanks!

I hear you on the back and sciaticas, been there, doing this now,

So with out the bar,
    can you get to Rip's bottom position?
    elbows between the knees and stretching wide?

I'm no coach, but, to me your back may look a little over extended, as you're trying to "be careful"
    get an air squat to depth, then add the bar, then add the weight,
    and make it fluid with a bottom bounce.

I can’t get all the way down in the bottom position anymore. I’m just too tight. I feel like I’m going to explode into pieces when I get to about the depth I’m at in the video. I used to have no problem. Maybe I need to back off the weights and work on hitting the bottom position again.

you havn't been doing your PT knee pulls, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by A Large Hand View Post
    I, , , I need to back off the weights and work on hitting the bottom position again.
    yup,
    and post that video, from a front 1/4, showing all of you and your feet,
    you can do this now, at home, right now

Well I’m traveling this week so I can’t do it right now but I’ll try tomorrow night.

Definitely not pulling my knees to my chest!!! I just keep my back straight, careful how I bend, as little rotation as possible. I’ve got 3 kids under 4 years old so inevitably I do something stupid with my back everyday. I did get new squat vid here:

YouTube

I think it’s better but still not there

And DL here:

YouTube

I did an extra two because I got thrown off by the kids running on the platform. I need a home gym...

Thanks for any feedback.

Finally got a video of the “bottom position”. I hope the angle is ok and appreciate any feedback.

YouTube

Hey man,

Not a ssc, but i do have a lot of experience with your injury.

I had a severe L5S1 herniation about 10 years ago when i was 24 and surgery after about 9 months of suffering. In retrospect i KNOW that if i had discovered SS previous to that injury then it never would have happened. Rest assured that strength training is the answer to your problem - now I squat, press, pull and train BJJ with no concern about another disc herniation. My back is far stronger and more resilient now at the age of 34 than it was in my 20s.

Few things with your squat:
    *it looks like you’re overextending a bit In the Tspine area. Squeeze your abs harder by drawing your sternum down slightly. If your Tspine is overextended it will cause more movement in your lumbar as you approach depth.

*Widen your grip a bit for better lat engagement. After you get air and when you squeeze your abs think about bending that bar over your back as you pin your elbows in almost like a lat pull. Lats are a long muscle that will stabilize your whole back when tight.

*Get squat shoes

For your deadlift remember the 5 steps in order:
    1. midfoot
    2. grip (get your air and tight abs here)
    3. Shins to the bar
    4. Squeeze the chest up
    5. Drag it up the shins

When you set it down it looks like you’re bending your knees and letting is slide down your lap. Don’t do this - that bar will ramp off your knees past mid foot. Practice setting it down in a straight path over midfoot with your knees back and set it down faster.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you may be wearing your belt too high. If you're wearing it tight enough you'll end up injuring your ribs like I did a while ago. You don't want that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast