starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    i've never had my form checked. please tell me if i've been doing something wrong. thanks!

YouTube

thanks. i had actually read it. i thought front quarter at eye level was okay? did i fuck up the frame? sorry

i took some more videos, i hope i have it right this time

107.5kg squat, first work set, back quarter view
    107.5kg squat, second work set, side view
    107.5kg squat, third work set, back quarter view

i don't know why but i was really really tired after that second work set. i wasn't 100% sure i was going to be able to do the third. i usually rest like 6 minutes but this time i rested like 10

also i have some deadlift videos. i don't know if i should make a new thread for this, but i'll put them here:

110kg deadlift, last warmup, 2 reps
    130kg deadlift work set

thanks!

Unfortunately your camera angles are still incorrect. There is a link to my Instagram video training log in my signature below. There you can find examples of camera angles that would allow people to better critique your form.

i'm an idiot. sorry. i'll get it right the next time

Couple issues with your squats. You are not breaking at the hips when initiating the squat, this is causing you to descend vertically, past parallel, and then your lower back goes into lumber flexion. During the ascent, you correct the angle and begin to use hip drive. Notice how your back angle changes during the ascent?

First, stand straight up (you’re leaning over) and think “big (or proud) chest,” get tight and break at the hip and knees simultaneously. Slow down (kind of dive bombing), lean over during the descent and “point your nipples at the ground” and “drive your hips back!!” You should be more horizontal during the descent.

Deadlift, any reason you have the bar elevated? Your back looks loose and during the pull you are initiating by dropping your hips and taking a run at the weight. Don’t do this, review the set-up and “push the floor away” prior to opening your hips. Also, trying pulling slack out of the bar to help set your thoracic and lumbar back in extension.

If you are stalling at this weight, you are not recovering properly or getting greedy. 10-minutes is a long rest.

Check out the video recommendations and repost after making the corrections.
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 08-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    thank you so much! i felt like i was moving too vertically and that's why i leaned over like that, but i had never thought about breaking at the hips when going down

about the bar being elevated, that's just the place where deadlifts are done in that gym, but i'll do them on the floor and see if i don't piss anyone off. i'll try to fix the hip dropping thing

thanks again!