starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    HI all, been a while since I've had a form check so I thought I'd give this a go.

Things have been spotty since April with family and work so I have not progressed nearly as much as I would have liked to.
    I have been really trying to work on getting my grip closer as I've started to get elbow pain. It seems to be working but I don't think I can get much closer than this at the moment with my current shoulders.....
    I find myself getting over my toes coming out of the hole. I'm thinking I need to keep my back angle as I hip drive?

Thanks in advance

This is the 3rd set at 250
    YouTube

2nd set fron the side
    YouTube

Hey James

The bar is too high on your back, so you won't lean over and/or it's going to feel like it's rolling up. The elbow pain is likely from you trying to manage the bar rolling around.
    Widen up your grip and when you get under the bar, start high and slide your back against the bar until you feel it "catch" under the spine of the scaps. Then walk the hands closer to your shoulders if you can.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 7.25.25 AM.jpg

I thought I might be but I have been doing what you said... I start with the bar up around my next and squeeze down until it stops without forcing it too much.
    I have pushed it further a couple of times and whenever I do, I get intense pain in my shoulder, one of which was surgically repaired in November 2017. I'll try and find a video from this winter that really hurt the shoulder.
    I will also try again to get it lower and see how it feels.
    I may be one that will have to stick with high bar squats

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey James

The bar is too high on your back, so you won't lean over and/or it's going to feel like it's rolling up. The elbow pain is likely from you trying to manage the bar rolling around.
    Widen up your grip and when you get under the bar, start high and slide your back against the bar until you feel it "catch" under the spine of the scaps. Then walk the hands closer to your shoulders if you can.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 7.25.25 AM.jpg

These felt better than I expected. I was able to get an inch or two lower than before. I did not feel like I was shifting forward as much as before. I also don’t feel like the bar was as stable as it was before. I was not able to find a solid ledge to really brace against like I was able before. Could be that I’m still not low enough? I don’t know that I can get any lower right now.

I can also post warmups if you would like to see more at lighter weights.

YouTube

These look better. I wouldn't give up on low bar just yet. Have you tried the "Horn stretch" for the shoulders to see if you can loosen them up a bit. You can't widen the grip any because it looks like it's right at the rack uprights as it is. Have you experimented with a thumbs-around grip to see if you have the same shoulder pain with the bar lower down?

So bar positioning looks pretty good? I pre warm up with arm circles and the horn stretch. I have not tried thumb around grip yet. I will play with that and continue working on getting low bar and bringing my hands in more.
    Anything else I should be looking for in the meantime?
    Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    I think it looks better than your first video, but still a little higher than I'd like. But I'm not sure how much lower you'll be able to get it with your current grip width/shoulder issues. That's why I'd recommend the stretch for a bit and see if that helps, and/or thumbs around. Ultimately, you want the bar to sit secure so you can get the lean without it wanting to roll up, throwing you off balance, and causing these big changes in back angle.