starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I finally got a tripod and switched to a gym that has room to film, so this is my first form check. This is my third working set @ 190 lbs. I recently deloaded because I was pretty sure my form sucked and it was getting too heavy to do anything about it. After watching it, it looks to me like my lower back is rounding at the bottom and I am shifting forward at that same point.

I'd love any feedback.

YouTube

Hey Tim,

You can post your form checks together in the same thread in the future.

A couple things to work on here. You're actually going too deep which is why you see your back rounding. Cut off your depth just an inch below parallel.

Also, at the beginning of the squat, send your knees forward as you sit back and bend over. See how your knees track forward during the entire decent? You want to establish your knee position during the first third of the decent and then stop them as you sit back. A tubow could be helpful if you're having a hard time with it.

Cheers.
    Tony

Tim

First thing to change, bar position. You are squatting in the high bar position. Here is a good video: YouTube

Changing the bar position will make the errors Tony identifies much easier to correct.

Mike

My bar position may be off, but it’s definitely not sitting on my traps. Maybe the camera angle could be clearer?