starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here is my first form check for deadlift. This is my working set @ 265 lbs. It looks to me like my back is rounding pretty much the whole time. I feel like my setup isn't right, but I'm not sure exactly how. It just doesn't feel quite right. Also, I feel like I have a hard time getting tight. I'm not sure if that's because I'm "end of training" tired, or (more likely) some technical issue.

I welcome any feedback.

YouTube

Hey Tim,

There are two things I can see that you should work on first.

For starters you're not totally setting your back. Try shoving your belly between your thighs and squeezing your chest up until you feel some of the weight of the barbell in your hands. This video should be helpful
    Fixing a Rounded Low Back in the Deadlift | Nick Delgadillo

Second thing is that your initiating the deadlift with hip extension rather than knee extension. See how your back angle changes immediately as the lift begins? Think about pressing the floor away with your legs and maintaining your back angle off the floor.

Hope this helps.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks! I tried focusing on this for my last session, and it seems a little better to me, although on the last rep I could have been tighter. This seems to change the balance a little bit, so I have to work harder to keep the bar from coming off my shins. Maybe I over or under corrected something wrong.

Here is the link to my 8/7 session: YouTube

Hey Tim,

Definitely improvement on this session. You're setting your back a lot tighter, keep it up. In terms of leg drive, rep one looks the best. Compare rep one and rep five. Notice how in rep one your knees extend FIRST and your shoulders stay out over the bar where in rep five your hips extend first and your back extension diminishes.