starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift back tweak

Default Deadlift back tweak

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello there I keep tweaking my back everytime I get close to 400...just wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Maybe I'm hyperextending my spine at the beginning? Pete troupos told me last time I was pulling around my knees...(been working on that). Ps I know I dont have my lifting shoes on...they have been aggravating my hip during deadlifts. Thanks for any help!
    YouTube

Hey Ryan
    Tough to tell from this angle if you're over-extending the lumbar spine. The pulls look better though, and you don't appear to be pulling around your knees anymore. Is the last rep you feeling the back tweak? Can you shoot one from the side and higher up?

Yes last rep..i couldn't finish pain was too bad. I'll post a side view ..I'll work up to a weight t my back can tolerate and send a video. Thanks again Pete!

Not a SSC, but i had a similar tweak at a similar weight on the 5th rep as well. I felt a pop around my T12L1 vertebrae at just above knee level during the pull. I immediately had to set the bar down.

Like you, I am pretty flexible and can easily overextend in the setup if I’m not paying careful attention to squeezing my abs.

On your 5th rep it appears that you extend a bit more than the previous rep. I believe that this happened to me as well and probably because my focus on engaging the abs seems to decline as fatigue sets in.

I believe this is a QL tweak and/or something fucked with the facet joint. this can occur when that area of your back is overextended and loaded. Starr protocol helps it heal faster.

Now i make sure that after i get my air and before i bring my shins to the bar I squeeze my abs hard and focus on keeping that tension throughout the setup and until the rep is complete. When I pull I still feel the remnants of that tweak about 5 months later, but it’s not bad and I’m back up to 435 5x1 without any further setbacks. Knock on wood!

1. Midfoot
    2. Grip. Air. Abs
    3. Shins to bar
    4. Squeeze the chest up (still got those abs tight, right?)
    5. Drag it up the shins

Frustrating that some people can pull over 500 with a back like a fishing pole with no issues and this shit happens to us from a slight overextension

I think you are exaggerating your back arch, that's gonna aggravate things. Think neutral rather than extended. Otherwise I don't see anything criminal in your video.

Possible you might be beating it up it during Squat day, Bench day, motorbike riding or sitting at a computer wrong? Backs can take months to heal if you have been abusing them previously and only recently fixed your form, sometimes those underlying issues only present when you subject your spine to the heavy loads of the DL, and naturally you'll blame the DL.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow thanks for the help folks.soul is bang on , its frustrating when you see guys with horrible form and never seem to get hurt , oh well . i tried a light dl today to help with recovery...I was able to work up to a decent weight with no pain . I recorded a few sets from the side for Pete hopefully these are ok...

YouTube

YouTube