starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This was my first day of Texas Method. This is set 5 of 180 5x5.
    YouTube

This is set 4 from the less desirable side view:
    YouTube

When I watch my videos I can see a couple things that need work, but I'm really looking forward to other's input.
    I ended LP with 220 3x3. I'm a 30 year old female that ran NLP for 5 months. Started TM two weeks ago.

Hey Sadie

Two things that stick out are not setting the back angle soon enough and getting the knees out. Your back angle should look closer to the way it does when you're about to get to depth. As soon as you start the squat, reach the hips back and send them away from your feet while you point your chest at the ground. You probably feel yourself getting on your toes in the bottom. A more horizontal back angle will help with that.
    How did you determine your volume day and intensity day for TM?

Thank you, Pete.

I determined my volume and intensity days using PPST. Volume day is 90% of intensity day. For the intensity day weight I backed off from the last of my LP working weight because I wanted to use 5x5 and 5RM and I was doing 3x3 at the end of LP. In hindsight I maybe should have just stuck to 3s and the women's version of TM outlined in PPST. Also, I don't think I needed to back off as much as I did (205 for my 5RM week one, and I ended LP with 220 3x3) but I simply didn't know how much harder 5 reps would be and I was nervous about volume days. I figure I'll transition to recommendations for women's TM when I start missing reps and run TM as written at first. The end of LP (for squats) was arduous and I didn't realize how morally and mentally taxing it was, how much less fun I was having, and how poorly I was recovering so I'm really looking forward to a change in programming and I'm pretty dedicated and determined.

I've seen the knee cave on my videos. Argh, I'll keep working on it. I've known something feels off about my back angle. I thought it was that, on the way up, I wasn't initiating a change in my back angle to be more vertical soon enough after initiating with hip drive and/or I needed the proud chest cue, but your explanation makes sense to me. I'm excited to use your advice. Thank you for your input!

You're welcome. Take a look at Andy's article here Understanding the Texas Method Intensity Day | Andy Baker
    It may give you some insight on how to tweak things and what to expect with TM.

What was your best set of 5 as a Novice before moving to triples?

Eyeballs, Sadie. Read that part of the book again.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the link to Andy Baker's article.
    My best 3 sets by 5 reps was at 205lbs.