starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, age 41, 5'-10, 171 lb.

Relearning after a few years of high bar. Running LP on all lifts. Dealing with back pain last ~6 months, but deadlifts seem to be the cure.

275x5x3 3rd set:

YouTube

Things I see:
    1) too vertical in decent, especially first rep
    2) another half inch to inch of depth would probably be better
    3) knees rocking forward then back in and out of hole (feels like a highbar motor pattern carryover; trying to set knees and hold sooner)
    4) hips shooting up a little too fast

Thanks in advance for the help

Most important thing: you are not bent over on the way down. If you got this fixed, most of the other things would be fixed. Three things happen at the beginning of the squat. Knees out, hips back, nipples down. If you don't have your back angle changing from the very beginning, it will have to change later in the squat. Bend over!

You're also carrying a lot of weight in your hands. Get your shoulders stretched out and get your hands closer together. This will make a better shelf for the barbell. Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn

A few trips through the buffet line would help too. 5'10 171 is pretty skinny.

Thank you, sir. Video watched and Waffle House eaten this morning. I'll give these a try and report back.

Karl, it looks like I'm at a 45% +/- back angle a few inches above parallel on the assent. Is that about the back angle I'm shooting to hit early and hold? That is what I see in my below form check from 2014, which got a "decent" from Mr. Campitelli. YouTube

This is two sessions after the above and next session after receiving your comments.

290x5x3, third set

YouTube

I think I got part way there on setting the back angle, which also appears to clean up some other issues, as you said it would. I'm cueing myself to drive my belt/belly button down between my thighs in the hole, which seems to help with knees out, back angle, and expanding my gut at he same time. First rep still worse than others. Still thought I was leaning over more than I really was on the decent. And still look a shade high or marginal depth at best too me.

Getting some elbow pain from my terrible grip, which you also noted. Working on the Paul Horn stretch per the video and also taking some of the pressure off the elbow with a flexed-wrist grip (as in this video) at least temporarily.

I suspect your knees are not going out enough. Back angle is better. Get your wrists straighter and your elbow pain will clear up. The key in the Paul Horn stretch is not to bend the wrists at all. If you do, you aren't stretching the parts of you that need stretching. Imagine they're cast in steel when you start the stretch.

Knees out will clear up depth.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, sir, will give that a try.