starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check (Squat, Press, DL)

Default Form Check (Squat, Press, DL)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first time posting videos so please let me know if angles are good.

I知 a 32 y/o male. 176.6lbs.

2nd attempt at an LP. Got stalled out last year on my first attempt.

Squat:

YouTube

Press:
    YouTube

DL:
    YouTube

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Chris, couple comments.

Squat: Looks too light, need to see your feet. Hard to tell, but your stance looked slightly wide and I couldn't tell if your toes were pointed out? Didn't look like it with the knee travel.

Press: Elbows are flaring out and behind the bar, need to see the "elbows up." This leads to my second comment, elbows behind the bar pushed the bar forward and makes driving your head under more difficult. Fix the elbows, you will fix getting the head under the bar. "Aim for your forehead," as the bar travels in front of your face. Figure out your breathing..one breath, per rep, at the bottom. You are all over the place.

Deadlift: Drag the bar up the legs....

Everything appeared really light, need to get some weight on the bar and repost some videos. Everyone stalls on the LP, that's the intent of the program. Not exactly sure what you meant by that comment?
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 08-18-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troxell View Post
    Chris, couple comments.

Squat: Looks too light, need to see your feet. Hard to tell, but your stance looked slightly wide and I couldn't tell if your toes were pointed out? Didn't look like it with the knee travel.

Press: Elbows are flaring out and behind the bar, need to see the "elbows up." This leads to my second comment, elbows behind the bar pushed the bar forward and makes driving your head under more difficult. Fix the elbows, you will fix getting the head under the bar. "Aim for your forehead," as the bar travels in front of your face. Figure out your breathing..one breath, per rep, at the bottom. You are all over the place.

Deadlift: Drag the bar up the legs....

Everything appeared really light, need to get some weight on the bar and repost some videos. Everyone stalls on the LP, that's the intent of the program. Not exactly sure what you meant by that comment?
    Hey Mike,
    I知 sorry I知 just now responding. I need to turn on notifications for Tapatalk. Thank you for taking the time to critique these videos.

On the squat: I agree, I think my stance was a little too wide. My toes always point out but I値l be sure to get my feet in the frame for the next post to show that.

I知 adding weight each time. I suppose it値l be heavier soon enough. I was up to 225 when I stalled the first time.

Press: I tried elbows out in front of the bar and the lift was so much easier!

I agree on the breathing thing. This might seem rudimentary, is it normal to take a breath for each rep on all lifts? I think I tend to just hold valsalva until I feel like I need another breath.

DL: like actually touch my legs on the way up? I thought that was more of a cue to keep the bar close to you. I got to 255 today and had to grind the last rep. 260 was my 5 RM PR from last time.

Yeah, I know that LP ends but I just was at a loss with how to handle it. I couldn稚 afford a coach to program and my personal life got really stressful.

I couldn稚 pull the bar off the floor at all after 260. Not even one rep. I just hit a total wall. My hip flexors were killing me all the time even on empty bar squat warm ups. I was stuck on the press despite micro-loading. I just kept resetting and eating and sleeping and making no progress except on bench. When that started failing too, I just felt beat up and discouraged and over stressed from lifting and the personal life shit.

I think I conceptually understood that LP comes to an end but wasn稚 prepared for the reality of that and it felt like it came on so quickly. Progress, progress, progress ...BRICK WALL.

I wish I had stuck with it but I can稚 change the past. I知 moving forward now. I値l hire a coach this go round when I get stuck again and have them change programming as needed.