• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, age 41, 5'-10, 170 lb.

130x5x3, 3rd set:

YouTube

Things I see:
    1) wrist position-too much flex?
    2) just learning 2.0 hip throw-don’t see much there, but I feel a good bounce
    3) lack of air/tightness management after first few reps

Thanks in advance for the help

1) Yes, your wrists are flexed.
    2) What you are doing is not Press 2.0, at least after rep 1. Most people call it Press 1.5 if you use the stretch reflex at the bottom of the eccentric, after a hip throw on rep 1.
    3) Are you doing your first 2 reps on one held breath?

What is your grip width: your index fingers in relation to the inner edge of the knurling? Seems wide from here. Elbows are flaring out.

The wrists are over extended. They're keeping you from being able to get the elbows up and in front of the bar.
    You're going to have about 10ish degrees off extension so the bar sits on top of the wrist and low in the palm. This will allow you to keep the elbows up and in front of the bar.
    Watch this YouTube

There's really no hip-action to speak of, and if you're trying to learn 2.0, you'd want to reset and use the hips every rep. Get the quads and abs tight, and throw the hips forward so the bar wants to "bounce". Then be patient and press off of that bounce.

Thank you both.

Wrist extension-watched the video and think I understand now. I've been mainly push pressing/jerking for a few years, so my wrists feel straight when they are not.

Grip width-about a 1/2 knurl visible inside of each index finger. After rereading the press chapter, I see I should probably be right up to the edge of the knurl

Breathing-this set was 2/1/1/1 in reps per breath, I think. I had been doing 4/1 (even all 5 on initial breath sometimes), but after rereading the press chapter, decided that was too risky in terms of blackout potential.

2.0-I'll work on reaching the hips and resetting each rep. Maybe I should run up to a stall on the 1.5 and then reset some and work the 2.0? Or reset now and work the 2.0?

Thanks again!

Ugh...JamesW asked, "...too much flex", so I answered in the affirmative, when I should have said, "Too much extension".

I'll shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Ugh...JamesW asked, "...too much flex", so I answered in the affirmative, when I should have said, "Too much extension".

I'll shut up now.
    Come on man, there can never be too much flex

I would recommend working on the press 2.0. The hip movement adds another degree of skill and has some practical applications in athletics. Also gets more muscle in the movement without taking too much away from the upper body.

I remember a college O-line coach describing how to pancake defenders by getting your hips forward followed by an immediate and explosive push to topple them on their ass. This never really clicked until i began practicing the press 2.0.

starting strength coach development program
    Despite the numbering, 1.5 should only be instituted after 2.0 is mastered.

Don't drop the bar to your collarbone and shoulders in the last set. Dangerous practice once it gets heavy.