starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Form Check #3, After Back Tweak 1mo Ago

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Flexion and rotation of the spine under load is never safe.

Rip describes a 2 degree shift of the back angle on the rebound. Yours is more noticeable than that.

I’m not a SSC, but i think they would agree that you should drop down and slow your progression. May take some time to catch up neurologically considering the head injury.

Don’t put yourself in a position where you’re handling heavier weight with more flexion/rotation. Keep filming and working on even, balanced reps

Hello Coaches,

Thanks for great feedback RE: the risk of coming up lopsided like a corkscrew. I had just chalked that up to an unavoidable muscle imbalance due to the Head injury, but you're right that I should increase the weight at a slower pace to make sure my back doesn't start twisting like that again!

Here's today's third set at 102.5kg (had lowered to 100kg to work on my back angle; this is the second workout after that):
    YouTube

... And here's the second set, from the other side:
    YouTube

How does my back angle look here? Is this still too low, too much like a good morning? I'm trying to focus on unlocking hips and knees at the same time, and keeping my upper back tight at the top with a "proud" chest, but I have no idea how how "horizontal" my back should be! (I hadn't posted form checks here for so long after the last go-round because even though everyone in the gym was saying hey man you're gonna kill your back-they've never heard of low-bar- I'd found all these SS videos about a "more horizontal" back angle, and even found the video where they say that body types can lead to less or more of a horizontal back angle. I'd convinced myself that my thighs are just long and that's why it looks like such a good morning!)

In any case, I feel like if I keep the back any higher, I'll get into high-bar territory. Does the back angle look correct on these?

Thanks!

That looks better, nick.

Looks like you could probably shove your knees out more and you’re still kinda rocking your hips back and forth at the start. Just stay in lumbar extension, don’t bring your hips so far forward.

The problem previously is probably not your back angle, but your ability to maintain rigidity.
    Squeeze your abs hard and lat pull the bar on your back. The lats are important.

I’d suggest taking another 10% or so off the bar and progressing back up in 10lb jumps. Keep in mind I’m not a SSC and I’m trying to be helpful, but I don’t have the same level of expertise. The goal is to get stronger, but you may need to backtrack a bit here and there to ultimately move forward safely.

Here's set #3 @ 95kg, after de-loading to focus on a higher back & more even-ness between the left and right side:
    YouTube

And here's the same workout, set #2, from the left side:
    YouTube
    (The set up here is longer because you'll see my first unrack attempt, where the left hand starts to ride up off the bar from the index finger side, so I re-rack to adjust the grip)

On video the back angle looks OK (I assume), but when I do these it feels like it's too vertical, and it prevents me from using any hip drive.

Also on video my depth looks just right, but when I'm doing these it feels like I'm going too low.

So any comments are appreciated RE: back angle and depth

(I had been happier earlier about my back angle, after watching SS videos about how everyone's "correct" back angle looks different, due to different body types (like long thighs, in my case). But then in my last form check ppl said I was good morning-ing the squats, so I've been trying to keep the back more vertical on these.)

Last comment, not sure what to do about my grip. When I keep it narrow and sit my thumbs and palms up on top of the bar, you'll see (esp. in Set #2) that my left index and middle fingers flex up over the bar, which makes the bar feel unsecure on my back.
    The only fixes I've found so far are to keep the left hand wider than the right, or to put the bar not as low on my back as I'd like.
    Any comments on this? Is my situation what people use that "talon grip" for (saw that referenced in someone else's form check)

Thank you, coaches!

starting strength coach development program
    Hey bud,

Put something on the floor 6 ft. In front of you and stare at it. You’re looking at your feet and i daresay its making your upper back loose. Tighten that fucker up!

Move your grip out 1 inch on each side.

You also need to shove your knees forward and out at the start and don’t let them slide forward more towards the lower half of your descent. shove them OUT and stay midfoot all the way down and up. Midfoot, midfoot, midfoot. Stay tight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12