starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 3x5x285

Default Squat Form Check 3x5x285

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'd appreciate any feedback on my squat.

I already caught a few things that I didn't realize I was doing until I filmed it (not sure why I seem to rock my feet back and forth in between reps). In hindsight I should've removed the safety bars so you can better see depth since I wasn't using them. Also next time I will try to get the camera up higher and a few different angles.

2nd Set: Squat 2nd Set on Vimeo

3rd Set: Squat 3rd Set on Vimeo
    Thanks for your time.

Jim

Feet look to forward and you need to pick a spot 3-5' in front of you and lock onto it for the entire movement.

You are not setting your knees and failing to attain the correct back angle on the descent. Set the knees, "hips back!!", and point your nipples towards the floor. Towards the bottom position your weight is shifting towards your toes....pretty hard to tell on a 2"x2" video!

Depth is fine, try Youtube next time, it is much easier.

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the help.

I probably should've provided more background information. I made the transition from squatting barefoot to using weightlifting shoes at the beginning of August. At that time I dropped working set weight by 20% to adjust to the feel of squatting in shoes. Additionally, a few weeks ago I tweaked my low back on the unrack squatting 290, probably because I lost focus and wasn't tight on the unrack. I took a couple weeks off and feel much better but still have some residual stiffness when getting into position for the deadlift.

Now, on my squat I am still struggling with getting the correct back angle. See this video from May that shows my back angle when squatting without shoes (I know side view is not ideal, but it's all I got of my form barefoot):

YouTube

Here are working sets from today:

YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube

Over the past week I've been focusing on keeping my eyes looking at the correct spot and turning my feet out more. I notice my groin/inner thighs were sore after the first time turning my feet out wider. Looking at the video, it seems my ankles cave a little towards the bottom of the squat when my feet are turned more out.

The "nipples to the floor" cue just results in me rounding my upper back. I watched a few SS videos on setting the knees but I still think I'm getting too vertical a back angle.

I'd appreciate any more feedback on the recent sets.