starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar going forward of shins on DL!

Default Bar going forward of shins on DL!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Second month of SS. Deadlift always goes forward of shins on way up for my work sets. I have short torso and long legs so i have to rock back. I am almost positive i am not lowering hips during step 4 (chest up). I looked at a video of my form on deadlift a couple weeks aho and realized i was doing a sldl and i think it was because i was worried so much about dropping my hips. Then i changed my form a bit and the problem still occurs. 5’7 /M/175lb. Started at 155.

Video

The video i have is not a good angle. It is too low so that u can’t see my feet. I will be sure to get a good front quarter video tomorrow when i go in.

Here’s today’s DL.
    It is my first failed DL attempt in my LP. 255x2 is what i got. Got good food and sleep over weekend also.

YouTube

Default Deadlift form video

YouTube

255x2
    First failed DL attempt on my LP. Wasn’t anticipating this so I apologize for not getting a good 5 rep set video.

Bar goes forward on both reps. 3rd “rep” is especially pronounced and you can see i couldn’t get it up.

You gave up. That wasn't a true failure.

You need to pick your chest up harder before you actually pick the bar up and actively press the bar into your skin.

Unrelated, are you using chalk?
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 09-03-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoylejoshua View Post
    Here’s today’s DL.
    It is my first failed DL attempt in my LP. 255x2 is what i got. Got good food and sleep over weekend also.

YouTube
    I suffer from a similar problem and really have to work hard on it. I think you need to focus on dragging the bar against your legs, the bar should be in contact with your body at all time. The bar is drifting and ruining your balance and pull. I suspect this is an instinctive reaction to protect the skin on your shins?

I once had Campitelli screaming in my ear, abusive like "Against your legs, keep it close straight up against your fucking legs. DO IT." and I said to him afterwards "Hey Tom, sorry about that but I was really trying" and he looked me dead in the face and said "No you weren't".

Your setup was good, but there is still a bit of slack in your back, tighten that up and brace hard. It's meant to be very unpleasant. This will help maintain the bar position also. It all works together. You MIIIGHT need to be 1/4 inch closer to the bar in your setup.

So I should be pulling my chest up more before the initiation of the pull? No I have never used chalk. Not opposed to it at all though.

Sweet advice. I really don’t mind grinding up my shins or anything. Don’t think that is it. But i just thought it was something that happened organically. I’ll focus on that particular part of the lift more then.

starting strength coach development program
    You're set up a little too close to the bar. See how far forward of the bar your shoulders are? Setup a hair further from the bar, then make sure you're on midfoot when you set the back (harder than this). Stay on midfoot through the pull and don't let yourself rock to your toes.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 09-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast