starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/Deadlift form check

Default Squat/Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

Hi I would really appreciate a form check to make sure I’m doing these squats and deadlifts at least 90-95% correct. They feel right but then again I don’t have that much experience.

Background:
    6’
    275#
    Barbell training little more than 1.5 years
    4 day upper lower split
    Squats/Deadlifts on two week progression

Nice and strong. I'd get better shoes, first of all. It's hard to maintain the bar path in squishy shoes. On the squat itself, you're not getting your back angle set from the beginning. Watch your descent: you don't change back angle at all for the first few inches, and then you have to catch up and set it later, which means that your knees slide into the bottom.

The whole thing is a little disjointed. Three things happen at the same time at the beginning of the squat: chest down, hips back, knees out. Get this right and you'll clear up lots of troubles.

You are also lifting your head and changing your gaze point on the way up. Keep your face pointed 4 or 5 feet in front of you and don't move it. You don't need to lift your head to go up.

You've got a pretty wide grip with your wrists bent under the barbell. I'd like to stretch you out and get that narrower, so that you have a better and tighter thoracic spine.

I'd sure like a more solid setup. Have you considered upgrading the rack?

Deadlift looks ok except that it's really a block pull.

I agree that it looks super disjointed time and focus will fix that. As for the shoes I hadn’t considered upgrading but I saw rouge has classic sole dowins what do u recommend? I plan on upgrading the rack for sure. I like the York squat press stand, with the spotter arms I have it’ll be close to comp. stand for way cheaper. The plates I use aren’t oly size so with the mats it only a quarter inch high. The rack position has been a struggle so I need to work on that more. Thanks for the reply

The Do-wins would be fine. Don't overthink the shoes, but do get some.

Update:
    Ok tried to implement the the things you said
    The eye gaze still needs work but here’s the video...
    YouTube

Really appreciate the help

Would be great to see a set of 5. I also suspect you need to shove your knees out harder

starting strength coach development program
    Today I was going for a 5x5 PR @390
    But on first set my grip was too narrow and it feels like a pulled something in my shoulder or upper pec on the right side so for the rest of the sets the bar wasn’t very stable on the right side. I wanted to get in and out quick so I ended up doing a set of 6 (pulled something) set of 5 then 6 then 7. All in all it’s 24 reps
    Your right tho need to shove out knees more

YouTube