starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    At the bottom is it acceptable for my butt to do what it’s doing there or is this a looseness issue?

Also I always get really sore in my posterior chain and my adductors, but never my quads. I get that I don’t need to get sore for growth, but why the extreme imbalance in soreness? Just assuming my quads are doing barely any work because I am doing something wrong.

Dropped the weight way down because I have been trying to perfect my form and am overcoming some nagging adductor pain that won’t seem to go away. Seems to have settled into the tendon.

Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickD81 View Post
    At the bottom is it acceptable for my butt to do what it’s doing there or is this a looseness issue?

Also I always get really sore in my posterior chain and my adductors, but never my quads. I get that I don’t need to get sore for growth, but why the extreme imbalance in soreness? Just assuming my quads are doing barely any work because I am doing something wrong.

Dropped the weight way down because I have been trying to perfect my form and am overcoming some nagging adductor pain that won’t seem to go away. Seems to have settled into the tendon.

Thanks

Nick
    Hey I just read the posting rules. I realize I am probably going to get yelled at for going too light, but I have literally been working out with 115 for the last month or more. I just jumped back up to 135 and it felt good, so I will start increasing by 10 lbs from here as long as it’s not too painful. These are my working sets, by the way.

I just started squatting again this summer and the last time I was squatting was years ago and it was high bar, with an excessive back arch and I could never squat more than sets of 225 or without my hips pinching. After reading the squat section in the book several times, I just want to dial in my form so that I can develop the proper movement patterns before loading up the bar. It’s taking a lot of effort for me just to stop the arching of my spine.

Thanks

bar looks too high on your shoulders,
    (may be angle and distance)
    wrists are a bit bent, get them straightened,
    knees sliding forward at bottom,
    I think you could widen your stance an inch or two,
    (again, may be angle and distance)
    you're missing depth by an inch or two,
    widen your stance a little, slam your knees out over your toes and lock them there 1/3 to 1/2 down, and get another inch of depth

Hey Nick, these aren't bad. You can certainly handle some more weight.

That "thing your butt is doing" out of the hole is actually your lower back going into over extension. Focus on a harder/tighter brace of your abs, like you are getting ready to take a punch. Also, stop exhaling on the way up. Hold your Valsalva through the entire rep. You can get a quick breath at the top if you need it though.

Comments above are useful too. I'd...
    -Verify the bar is touching the "bottom" of the body ridge on the back of your should blade (spine of the scapula). You can do this by feeling for it with the bar as you set up.
    -Bring your elbows down and you chest "up" (think about puffing your chest out proud or pulling your shoulder blades together and down)
    -Move your feet out an inch
    -Shove your knees out harder

The soreness you are getting, when is it coming on?

It's probably DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Which, is believed to be an inflammatory response to the muscles lengthening while under a load. It's common while you are learning and adapting to a new movement pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    bar looks too high on your shoulders,
    (may be angle and distance)
    wrists are a bit bent, get them straightened,
    knees sliding forward at bottom,
    I think you could widen your stance an inch or two,
    (again, may be angle and distance)
    you're missing depth by an inch or two,
    widen your stance a little, slam your knees out over your toes and lock them there 1/3 to 1/2 down, and get another inch of depth
    I originally posted this to the Facebook group and got flamed for using too light weight and deleted the post after I realized it was a public group and I’d rather not have everyone I know see me doing squats...

They said I was going way too deep and said the lombar extension coming out of the hole was a result of the excessive depth. So I tried to back off on the depth on next set and I increased weight by about 40 lbs. I will continue to increase weight as my groin injury can tolerate it. Depth is not an issue for me....my issue is (and I posted this on fb as well) I am struggling with going into lumbar extension coming out of the hole. I think you guys pretty much answered my question that the extension is not correct. (They refused to even help on Facebook due to my cardinal sin of posting a light set for a form check) Next question is what cues should I consider when coming out of the hole to prevent this from happening. I can’t “feel” it happening. I am flexing my abs as hard as I can. I’ve tried holding my breath, not holding my breath, wearing a belt, not wearing a belt, deep squats, less deep as you can see here. I see you mention “chest up” but I struggle with that as well because as soon as I puff my chest up, instant rib flare and lower back extension. I guess I am just really frustrated, because I can’t seem to do this correctly. Also there is one video I have been watching over and over where rip is teaching a guy on YouTube and I think pointing my nipples st the floor cue seems to help but how do I do that and keep my chest up at the same time?

This is helpful.

“Chest up” cue is tough for me. Chest up sends me into instant over extension of lumbar spine. You have no idea how much I had to work on my form even to get to the point where I could descend with a neutral spine, but I am completely losing it at the bottom. Next squat session going to try focusing more on moving the weight with my hips rising up and see if that helps like rip suggests in some of the videos.

The soreness is DOMS. I am not concerned about the soreness I am more concerned about why my quads don’t get sore....at all. Could it just be that my adductors are so pathetically weak in comparison to my quads that I’m not able to squat enough weight to make them sore?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD81 View Post
    yeah, that's a little too deep,
    but doesn't look tragic bad either, (other than depth),

where did you come up with adding 40# ?
    how bout 10 and an extra session or 2,
    may be why you're sore