starting strength gym

Thread: Heel Heavy Deadlift? Lifting Chest Early?

Default Heel Heavy Deadlift? Lifting Chest Early?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey folks, just in for a form check on my deadlift. I posted this in the FB group as well and was told that I don't push through the floor enough to start the movement. Also, I do feel that I am heel heavy near the top of the movement and haven't really figured out how to solve this problem when doing heavier deadlifts. I feel like I'm leaning back and pulling back nearing the top instead of up. Could this be caused by not pushing through the floor at the beginning, causing me to lift my chest too quickly? The set is 435x5.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know I broke the rule of wearing black and not filming the set up my dad was filming. Geez dad c'mon man.

YouTube

Rich

Moving some good weight...one thing I want to see; the set-up! The bar appears forward of mid-foot and you are setting-up too far forward. Aggravating is your eye gaze, I would look a couple feet out, not straight down.

The FB forum is correct, you are lifting your chest too soon; probably bringing the bar back to mid-foot? Think of the movement as a push, "push the floor away," not "pull the bar." Notice how the bar stays away from the shins, bangs your knees, and then stays off your thighs until the movement is complete? This is not dragging the bar up the legs.

On the third rep you initiated the pull and then put the bar back down. What happened? You lifted your chest and dropped your hips, right? Knee extension starts, hips extension second.

Lets see a set-up; hook grip?
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 09-12-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troxell View Post
    The bar appears forward of mid-foot prior to initiating the pull.
    I see the opposite. The bar is too far back, your shins are nearly vertical vertical when you pull. The bar needs to be an inch more forward so that it is over the mid foot. I bet this solves the "heel heavy" problem.

it starts behind mid-foot and then moves progressively forward with each rep.

Quote Originally Posted by moargainz View Post
    I see the opposite. The bar is too far back, your shins are nearly vertical vertical when you pull. The bar needs to be an inch more forward so that it is over the mid foot. I bet this solves the "heel heavy" problem.
    Do you think the vertical shins are caused by the bar position over mid-foot or failure to properly complete step 3 in the five step DL set-up? Based on the hip position and the position of the scapula over the bar, I believe it is failure to properly bring the shins to the bar.

Majority of the movement errors can be corrected in the set-up.

Yes it is a set up problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Mike, you're right in that he's setup with the scaps/shoulders too far forward, but it's because the bar is too close/shins are too vertical and he's a bit on his toes. Bar looks like it's on the shins. Imagine if the bar was a bit more forward, the shins touching the bar, the hips would drop and the back angle would be more open. Then the shoulders would be about where they should be, provided he was on midfoot. Do you see what I mean?
    Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 3.53.28 PM.jpg

It comes off the ground "chesty" because of the vertical shins and the quads not being able to help "push the floor away".