starting strength gym

Thread: Press, it is currently a mess

Default Press, it is currently a mess

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone!

I need your help guys: my press has been unbalanced and just plain shit in the past 4-5 weeks.

I keep having the tendency to lose balance backwards, whereas most lose it forward.
    I don't know why, maybe I throw the bar too far back, or some other reason.

Here's a heavy single on the verge of having to take a step back to regain balance.

Yes, my starting position is very different from the recommended in the book: my elbows are flared, my back is too extended, I know that.
    So I've decided to give the Press 2.0 another shot, because frankly it looks like it's going to help me on the long run to press heavier, which is what I want (don't we all?).
    Note that I'm very used to take quick stops in the top and use a rebound effect at the bottom when pressing, this Press 2.0 is almost like a paused variant for me.

Here's the side view.

Here's the three-quarters view.

What can I improve on this lift's thecnique?
    Thank you folks!

Hi there,

do you really need that much floating rack? You are taking the bar so high that you are forced to bend your neck backwards, which doesn't help at all setting a strong, solid upper back. IMHO, holding the bar like that just adds a lot of instability to your lift; if it rested on your shoulders, any thrust from the hips and torso will be fully transmitted to the bar, making the first part of the lift easier.

I know it's fashionable to hold the bar off the shoulders to get some help form the bounce, but that's normally done by people whose shoulders and arms are so thick that there is no slack in their setup, even with a floating rack. That doesn't seem to be your case.

I would humbly suggest to lower the rack hooks one notch, and take the bar on the shoulders. Step back, take a big breath, set and harden your torso, shoulders and hips, lock your knees (they don't seem to be locked) and then start the lift.

Hope this helps.

IPB

With your forearm length the bar is just going to float. Make sure your wrists are straight, with them bent the bar is under your chin so you have to loop the bar out around your face which isn't helping.

Think about shrugging straight up rather than back and don't push your head through at the top like that. Bring your shoulders up by your ears while you shrug, this is why you're losing balance. Also, you totally had that last rep. Don't stand there huffing and waiting for it to get easier. Take a big deep breath, punch it and embrace the grind.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi there,

do you really need that much floating rack? You are taking the bar so high that you are forced to bend your neck backwards, which doesn't help at all setting a strong, solid upper back. IMHO, holding the bar like that just adds a lot of instability to your lift; if it rested on your shoulders, any thrust from the hips and torso will be fully transmitted to the bar, making the first part of the lift easier.

I know it's fashionable to hold the bar off the shoulders to get some help form the bounce, but that's normally done by people whose shoulders and arms are so thick that there is no slack in their setup, even with a floating rack. That doesn't seem to be your case.

I would humbly suggest to lower the rack hooks one notch, and take the bar on the shoulders. Step back, take a big breath, set and harden your torso, shoulders and hips, lock your knees (they don't seem to be locked) and then start the lift.

Hope this helps.

IPB
    The length of my forearms doesn't allow me to have the bar resting on the meat of the deltoids, it's going to force a floating rack position.

Quote Originally Posted by tonystein View Post
    With your forearm length the bar is just going to float. Make sure your wrists are straight, with them bent the bar is under your chin so you have to loop the bar out around your face which isn't helping.

Think about shrugging straight up rather than back and don't push your head through at the top like that. Bring your shoulders up by your ears while you shrug, this is why you're losing balance. Also, you totally had that last rep. Don't stand there huffing and waiting for it to get easier. Take a big deep breath, punch it and embrace the grind.
    So I assume my elbows are too far forward on the side view?

Looks to me like you could squeeze your elbows in a bit to get tighter.

On the heavy single you unlock your knees and probably your hips too mid rep. Keep it tight.

And you do thrust your head too far forward at the top - prob why you lose balance. On that note, are you looking at the ceiling before the rep? Lock your eyes straight ahead.

Useful video on how to get tight and the hip movement here by delgadillo
    Hips in the Press | Diego Socolinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Razraal View Post
    The length of my forearms doesn't allow me to have the bar resting on the meat of the deltoids, it's going to force a floating rack position.
    There is a difference between long forearms, and having to bend your neck backwards to accomodate the floating bar. Maybe the fact that your elbows are almost level with the shoulders when you take the bar off the rack has got something to do with it.

IPB

I see no issue with your elbow placement. It appeared to me that your wrists were extended and that straightening them would fix it. If not, keep your elbows where they are and just bring that bar out away from your neck a little bit.

I linked the wrong video, same thread in the FAQ.

Fixing the Press - Hips

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all for your criticism and feedback guys, I'll press again today and I will make sure to remember:
    - don't get my head too far forward, or shrug straight up
    - getting tighter at the bottom
    - make sure I get my forearms vertical from the anterior view

I'll record it and possibly post on this same thread