So I bought the shoes.. How to adjust? So I bought the shoes.. How to adjust?

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: So I bought the shoes.. How to adjust?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6

    Default So I bought the shoes.. How to adjust?

    • phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    35 years old. 6 months into general lifting / fitness habits. 3 weeks into committed barbell work - working on form and establishing suitable working-set weights.

    Like most, I started with distant muscle-memories of advice about keeping my torso upright during squats. Spent the last 3 weeks trying to re-learn the movement for low-bar position, reading and re-reading the blue book, watching and re-watching every Youtube video featuring Mark Rippetoe or Alan Thrall I could find between sessions. Progress was coming slowly.

    Meanwhile, I'd begun losing faith in my squishy-soled runners. Then I tried on a pair of lifting shoes in the store (not really intending on purchasing yet - just curious is all). Squatted down; stood back up. "Ohhh - I get it now." Bought the shoes.

    This morning was the first training day with them, and the elevated heel seems to demand a completely new set of adaptations. Even though I'm carrying the bar low - my torso is automatically FAR more vertical than it was before the heels. Everything feels like high bar again (just more stable). Attempting to move in the low-bar angle I had been getting practice now puts the bar-path out in front of my mid-foot.

    So questions...

    1) If you remember the transition to squatting in lifting shoes, what kind of adjustments did you make?

    2) In general, should I expect a permanently higher back angle in these shoes - or should I work on sitting my hips back more to get back to a more "textbook" low-bar angle?

    Thanks,
    -Andrew

    [I might post a video for a form check in the weeks ahead, but what happened today was so inconsistent from one rep to the next I don't want to waste anyone's time trying to decide which one they're supposed to be correcting. I'll see if I can get things at least a little more consistent before inflicting the footage upon anyone. Still working on 'arriving' at the point where I'm succeeding at making the same kind of mistake 5 times in a row.]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    61

    Default

    you squat in them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by studentandrew View Post
    This morning was the first training day with them, and the elevated heel seems to demand a completely new set of adaptations. Even though I'm carrying the bar low - my torso is automatically FAR more vertical than it was before the heels. Everything feels like high bar again (just more stable). Attempting to move in the low-bar angle I had been getting practice now puts the bar-path out in front of my mid-foot.
    The bar will be forward of mid-foot with light weights...

    The question is, are you balanced over mid-foot?

    Quote Originally Posted by studentandrew View Post
    1) If you remember the transition to squatting in lifting shoes, what kind of adjustments did you make?
    No adjustment; shoes made the lifts easier both the squat and the deadlift.

    Quote Originally Posted by studentandrew View Post
    2) In general, should I expect a permanently higher back angle in these shoes - or should I work on sitting my hips back more to get back to a more "textbook" low-bar angle?
    Sounds like you're still trying to get your squat mechanics worked out in general. The individual anthropometry of the lift controls in every case. We'd have to see you and see you squat to tell anything for sure. That beings said, a raised heel tends to put your knees more forward, not by much, but some, necessitating a more vertical back. But we're talking small variations.

    Quote Originally Posted by studentandrew View Post
    [I might post a video for a form check in the weeks ahead, but what happened today was so inconsistent from one rep to the next I don't want to waste anyone's time trying to decide which one they're supposed to be correcting. I'll see if I can get things at least a little more consistent before inflicting the footage upon anyone. Still working on 'arriving' at the point where I'm succeeding at making the same kind of mistake 5 times in a row.]
    I'd say get us a video warts and all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks for the thoughtful reply Satch. Also thanks to Soule, whose response is clearly correct. Working on putting it in practice, 5 reps at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    The bar will be forward of mid-foot with light weights...
    That part was something I was beginning to suspect and it did me some good to hear it reinforced. It's helping me continue to add weight without worrying too much for the time being while workshopping the mechanics. I'm currently approaching my bodyweight (~185lbs), so wanting to see a visible path directly over mid-foot is likely a fault in my expectations. I'll try to focus on balance, depth and hip drive for now and see if I can get a video up next week for feedback.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •