starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerclean 250x3x2 (fail) form check

Default Powerclean 250x3x2 (fail) form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would appreciate a form check on my powercleans, I merged two consecutive sets of 250x3 where I miss the 3rd rep in both. Thanks again for your time.

YouTube

Start position is a DL setup. So you need to squeeze your chest up harder and arch your back at the bottom. Jump harder! Try to make your feet leave the ground

Thanks Ryan. Am I rushing the setup? This feels like how I setup for deadlift but watching the video it does look like I could take an extra second to raise the chest a bit more. Jump harder... would a cue for that be to try to stomp your feet?

Quote Originally Posted by ValeLaPena View Post
    Thanks Ryan. Am I rushing the setup? This feels like how I setup for deadlift but watching the video it does look like I could take an extra second to raise the chest a bit more. Jump harder... would a cue for that be to try to stomp your feet?
    Correct - it is a bit rushed. Most of the reps, the bar is starting out behind midfoot, causing your shins to be too vertical, involving the quads less, and making it harder for you to get your chest up high enough. So get that midfoot start position right - it would also help to look forward a little more. For the jumping cue, it is usually more helpful to think about trying to make your feet leave the floor

Great, I'll give that a go. I appreciate the help Ryan, have a good one.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by ValeLaPena View Post
    Am I rushing
    IMHO, you are also rushing into the jump a bit, more noticeably as the set goes on. By the last rep it's as if you just want to get done with it, so you bring your shoulders too far back, and jump too soon, and not too effectively. You've got to be a bit more patient with your first pull, keep your shoulders over the bar, and trust your (ample) power to get the job done once the correct position is achieved.
    Hope this helps,

IPB

IPB,

Yeah I think you're right about that, thanks. I'll try and put these tips to work next week and report back.

A quick update on this... I put these tips to work and hit myself in the chin on my first rep this week! After only doubles and singles last week, I nearly completed my 5x3 at 250lbs, missing just 1 rep in the 4th set, though honestly it all felt pretty easy. I slowed the first half of the pull down significantly, and that helped me focus on the jump. Additionally, I think this was sneaky helpful:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    it would also help to look forward a little more
    That really helped get my back set and the rest kinda fell in line. I appreciate the advice, thanks guys.

Impressive weight for you PC even without optimal form. I'm still trying to get to 200lbs. Looking more forward also helped me as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    Impressive weight for you PC even without optimal form. I'm still trying to get to 200lbs. Looking more forward also helped me as well.
    Little bit at a time my man. Also one thought that you might try if you aren't doing it already, is to hook grip your cleans. Helped me a ton when I started doing that. Made everything feel more fluid, could rotate my hands smoother into the rack position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast