starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowbar Squat advice pt.II

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    [
    and the part where I let the hips 'come back' is where I jam into my knees i.e. readjusting the back angle to a less leaned over angle? How would one go about assessing whether a trainee is not able to assume the correct position due to issues of mobility?

okay so I just came back from the gym (video's are still uploading) where I tried to lean ov3er more while keeping the balance over the middle of my foot. And guess what? My back started to round. At this point I would be really happy to receive an answer to my previous question i.e. how one would assess whether a lifter just cannot assume the correct position due to mobility issues. I am seriously taking into consideration that this might be the reason why I am struggling so hard with this. (I'll upload the clips later but there's nothing new to see on them).

So here's one set where I took of the OLY shoes to see whether that may make a difference (the reasoning was that basically the shoes allow for more forward knee travel and since that's the problem I thought it might not hurt to try without them):

YouTube

I think that a couple of reps have significantly less knee-slide. However the lower back is rounding and the reps are nowhere near deep enough.

YouTube

This one's with the shoes on - reps 1 and 2 are not what we're looking for. I think in 3-5 I rather suceeded in leaning over more. But again losing tightness in the lower back.

The reason why I am so sceptical about this form is also that I'm used to squatting substantially more weight - this is 80 KG and 5 reps really messed with me. No way I could have loaded more weight on that bar.

Your back is fine. Keep your shoes on and fix the knee slide -- read about the TUBOW in the blue book.

I will try this (I already did the reading) - however I can't help but being a little confused since Pete told me to ditch the TUBOW.

I didn't tell you to use the TUBOW. I told you to read about it. What it's function is and why, so you will stop relaxing your hamstrings at the bottom of the squat.

I admit you didn't tell me to use it. Thanks for the advise I will do the reading then and try to put it into practice. Nevertheless, as a linguist I would like to suggest to you this article Speech act - Wikipedia should you be interested in knowing why I misinterpreted your initial response. I'll be back tomorrow after training then.

I doubt you can legitimately interpret my advice to "read about the TUBOW in the blue book" as anything other than advice to read about the TUBOW in the blue book. Sometimes words just mean exactly what they say.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending - I just thought this might be helpful given that the profession of a coach depends a lot on communication and more specifically on using cues i.e. commands that aim to produce a reaction which may be quite different from what the cue actually says.
    Anyways I've been to the gym and I had two videos made - in the first one I tried to stick to the suggestion made in the blue book i.e. to "[...] Make two movements out of
    this for a couple of reps, and then reduce this sequence to a smooth single motion". I attempted to follow the first part during my warm up and the first set. During the second and third set I tried to transform this into a smooth motion. I believe that the knee slide is better, hwoever not entirely gone but I prefer to let you be the judge of that:

1st working set: YouTube
    3rd working set: YouTube

As always thanks for your feedback!

starting strength coach development program
    I went to the gym again trying to get a smoother motion, however that didn't seem to be very succesful.

YouTube

Also I am experiencing some pain in the lower back as well as a feeling in my hamstrings that resembles the feeling you get after stretching rigorously. I take the latter to be a good sign. Don't know about the former though. Any feedback is appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12