starting strength gym

Thread: About the press shrug and impingement

Default About the press shrug and impingement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the book it is mentioned that you shrug at the end of the movement, making impingement impossible. Two questions arose for me:

1. Does this mean that not shrugging impinges the shoulders?
    2. If so, doesn't the movement at some point impinge the shoulders (before you shrug)?

1. Probably.
    2. No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. Probably.
    2. No.
    Thank you for the reply. Why not then? If the answer to 1 is probably, I'd say that by shrugging you move the scapula away from impingement, after actually impinging it.

Look at the drawing in the book. It doesn't impinge on the way up.

I think the logic here is that the downward force from the barbell with your GH joint locked out will cause problems, hence the shrug at lockout?

Default Press is fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by gadsie View Post
    In the book it is mentioned that you shrug at the end of the movement, making impingement impossible. Two questions arose for me:

1. Does this mean that not shrugging impinges the shoulders?
    2. If so, doesn't the movement at some point impinge the shoulders (before you shrug)?
    About two years ago, I had shoulder surgery. The surgeon said that I had a great deal of arthritis and that my shoulder was unlikely to return to normal. However, he gave me the go ahead to slowly start lifting weights. He said I wouldn't know what I could do until I tried. Oddly enough, I have no problems with the shoulder press. The bench press does cause slight pain to that shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by keengkong View Post
    About two years ago, I had shoulder surgery. The surgeon said that I had a great deal of arthritis and that my shoulder was unlikely to return to normal. However, he gave me the go ahead to slowly start lifting weights. He said I wouldn't know what I could do until I tried. Oddly enough, I have no problems with the shoulder press. The bench press does cause slight pain to that shoulder.
    Have you tried a different grip-width for the bench press? Or tried a Swiss bar with a neutral grip?

I tried a narrower grip. It did seem to hurt less. Thank you.