starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form check

Default Squat Form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently working a LP. 49 years old
    This is the heaviest set of 5 ever for me.
    320 for 5 Having a problem hitting depth.
    Thanks in advance.

Clint

YouTube

Are those the new version of the reebok power? I hate you - give me your shoes.

In all seriousness you should squat in a squat shoe, but those are amazing for deadlifts if you prefer flats.

Looks like you aren’t getting your knees out far enough. This causes some impingement at the hips and prevents you from getting to depth. So try shoving them out more and/or move your stance in a tiny bit.

Also, don’t look up. Stare at the floor 6 ft in front of you.

Additionally the bar seems to be floating over the spine of your scapula. You may have to inch it down a bit on your back during setup and lock it down with the lats during your set.

Finally, you have to bend over more and get your ass back further.

Soule thanks for the help. Will work on all the suggestions.
    Actually those are the first run shoes. Have a very wide foot hard to find shoes that fit. I have a pair of Do wins but my squat feels terrible in them will give them another try.

Rip, was my error that I was not looking down? Looking down gets me off balance. Had a stroke 10 years ago. sometimes I veer off to the right if not looking straight ahead. That may be why?

Do not post above-parallel squats on these boards. If you cannot even see that these are quite high, you are not holding up your end of the deal.

Sorry Rip Did not read low enough in the info to see the "From Rip message".
    Can't read low OR Squat low enough. Will change my ways

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Looking down gets me off balance. Had a stroke 10 years ago. sometimes I veer off to the right if not looking straight ahead. That may be why?
    I am not a doctor, so certainly not familiar with post-stroke issues, but not looking down seems a bit contradictory. We choose to look down because providing a focus point keeps you in balance more than if you were to look straight ahead or up. If you are 100% certain looking down is worse for you then so be it, but you may consider looking down on your warm up sets next workout to see how it feels?