starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (elbow tendonitis questions)

Default Squat form check (elbow tendonitis questions)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'd love to get some guidance on my squat. I've been struggling with tennis elbow, primarily in my left arm, which I've tried to fix (see bottom of post for more detail) but to no avail.

My questions: 1) Anything here you see that could still be causing this tendonitis? And 2) when I narrow the grip, I feel more weight want to go into my hands. Does this mean that I'm just not squeezing the shoulder blades together enough, or is there something else I'm missing?

Video: YouTube

How I've previously tried to fix this, FYI:

I've previously tried fixing my form by narrowing the grip while keeping wrists straight, focusing on chest up / thoracic extension / squeeing shoulder blades together, and trying to keep the elbows down. I've noticed that my left elbow creeps up a bit more than the right, so I'm actively trying to keep it down here.

I've also tried reducing the tendonitis by applying guidance I've seen elsewhere on the forum (~20x2 pull-ups every 5 days for 3 weeks, lots of ibuprofen for several days; not yet tried the sports massage). Since then, I've taken 10 days off from squatting and de-loaded a bit. This video is from my second day squatting since resuming squats.

Narrow your grip and get more of the bar in your fingers. If the distal pad of your index finger is not in contact with the bar, you may be pulling with your wrist extension enough to aggravate your elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Narrow your grip and get more of the bar in your fingers. If the distal pad of your index finger is not in contact with the bar, you may be pulling with your wrist extension enough to aggravate your elbow.
    When there exist elbow pain, is it better for the wrist to be slightly extented or flexed? Also do u still recommend that 20 set low reps chin-up method, to fix the pain, you mentioned in a 2015 video?

Hi Rip,

Thanks very much for your input, I appreciate your time. I think I've already noticed a difference after implementing in my next two sessions.

Best,
    Sunil