starting strength gym

Thread: Lowbar Squat advice

Default Lowbar Squat advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear everyone,

I came back from the gym trying to implement the advice Mark gave me (i.e. break down the movement while looking down and making sure the knees don't move further in the last part of the squat) to fix my knee slide problem. I am somewhat struggling with getting to a smooth motion. To be precise this is where we're at:

YouTube

I would like to know whether I'm on the right path or not.

Also, I have been experiencing some nasty lower back pain (admittedly I did exaggerate it today I probably did more than 5 sets of squats with that weight. Then again this is not a lot of weight). I would like to know what I can do against that and what could possibly cause that. The knee pain I've been having for a while now and which made me switch from front squats to lowbar squats has stayed (if that should matter).

Thanks in advance,

Alceste

Here are my two old threads:
    Lowbar Squat advice pt.II and Lowbar Squat advise

this is what I saw:
    - You're not hitting depth
    - when you're looking down, look about 5 feet in front of you to the floor.. As if there's money on the floor and you're gonna pick it up just right after your squat
    - I think you're keeping your chest to upright. Did you read the chapter about squatting? Try to squat without the bar and getting your arms between the legs so you know how low have to get and how bent over.
    - I also think your keeping your knees to much over your toes, which is causing you not to get depth. You can get your knees a bit more over your toes while squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Şenol Tapirdamaz View Post
    this is what I saw:
    - You're not hitting depth
    - when you're looking down, look about 5 feet in front of you to the floor.. As if there's money on the floor and you're gonna pick it up just right after your squat
    - I think you're keeping your chest to upright. Did you read the chapter about squatting? Try to squat without the bar and getting your arms between the legs so you know how low have to get and how bent over.
    - I also think your keeping your knees to much over your toes, which is causing you not to get depth. You can get your knees a bit more over your toes while squatting.
    so I'm currently trying to implement what is described in the tubow section of the squat chapter (without actually using Tubow as Pete voted against that). So yes, I have read the chapter and this is my back angle when I do the "squat without the bar" test. With respect to depth - I am aware of that but as long as I'm not sure that the movement is approximately right - which I doubt given my aching back and left hip - there's no use focussing on depth, I think (?).
    I don't get your last point though because it is contradictory (do not kepp your knees too much over your toes vs. you can get your knees a bit more over your toes).

Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    With respect to depth - I am aware of that but as long as I'm not sure that the movement is approximately right - which I doubt given my aching back and left hip - there's no use focussing on depth, I think (?).
    Getting to depth is part of doing the movement right. Take weight off the bar if you must, but you need to hit depth to continue to post form checks. Dems da rules and they've been mentioned before.
    If you're having issues with pain because of the squat, you should see a coach if you can or get it diagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    (without actually using Tubow as Pete voted against that)
    Because it was causing you to squat on your heels rather than address the issue of getting leaned over enough so the knees stay back. It may have been too close. Couldn't tell from the video.
    You just don't get leaned over soon enough. Lean over sooner.

Locking the thread. Work on that stuff, get below parallel and we'll be happy to help.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 10-02-2019 at 01:07 PM.