starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check (5x310)

Default Squat Form Check (5x310)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is a set of squats from my 3x5x310 Tuesday sessions. I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

Oblique view: YouTube

Side view: YouTube

Yesterday (Thursday), I added 5 lbs and missed the last rep of the second set. I believe my days where I'd squat heavy three times a week might have come to an end. I'm thinking of deloading a little bit and doing a lighter squat day in between the two heavy ones from now on; or would you suggest a different approach?

My current numbers:

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 197 lbs
    DL: 3x5x375 lbs
    P: 3x5x135 lbs
    BP: 3x5x175 lbs

Thank you!

Do not post above-parallel squats on this forum. See the sticky.

Apologies. I read the sticky before posting, of course; however, these seemed borderline (and hard) enough to me to submit them. Especially from the side view.

I'm aware of the heuristics to judge depth; but more individually, how much deeper than this⁠—https://i.imgur.com/FhTAUUy.jpg⁠—would be optimal? I'll try to record another set and post the video(s).

cwolfe--Your form looked fine to me. It turns out that I'm also not squatting deeply enough.

After seeing Rip's post, I picked up my copy of Starting Strength. (Actually, I looked it up on my computer using the Kindle app.) "The top of the patella (A) and hip joint, as identified in the apex in the crease of the shorts (B). The B side of the plane formed by these two points must drop below parallel to the ground." (Caption below figure 2-1, at the beginning of chapter 2, Kindle Location 203.) That language is not very clear to me even with the picture in front of me. However, I translate it as meaning the hips have to go below the knees for the squat to be good.

I note that in figure 2-8, the squat on the left appears as deep as you and I squat. Later in chapter 2, Rip says that a correctly done squat "is deep, with hips dropping below level with the tops of the patellas." (Kindle Location 412). I had to look patella up. A patella is a knee cap.

Keep up the lifting.

I believe that the hips have to go below the top of the knees. A correctly done squat "is deep, with hips dropping below level with the top of the patellas." (Starting Strength, chapter 2, Kindle Location 412). I had to look up a patella. It's a kneecap.

I was also doing squats incorrectly. I re-read chapter two after reading Rip's post.

It's unclear to me whether the figure squatting on the left in figure 2-8 is squatting deeply enough. It appeared to me that you squatted that deeply. CroppedPhoto.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by keengkong View Post
    I believe that the hips have to go below the top of the knees. A correctly done squat "is deep, with hips dropping below level with the top of the patellas." (Starting Strength, chapter 2, Kindle Location 412). I had to look up a patella. It's a kneecap.

I was also doing squats incorrectly. I re-read chapter two after reading Rip's post.

It's unclear to me whether the figure squatting on the left in figure 2-8 is squatting deeply enough. It appeared to me that you squatted that deeply. CroppedPhoto.jpg

well pointed out..