starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sq/DL Form Checks, Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here are our squats from this morning, both 290x5:

This was the best my son's squat has looked. Strong, consistent form, imo. I, on the other hand, was probably going almost an inch too deep (again). Plus I got over my toes a bit on the second rep.

Bonus, since this has been so helpful posting here: This is my daughter (just a month short of 16 years old; ~5'6" and ~145#) with her squat last night, 145x5.

I think your son and especially your daughter would benefit from a wider grip.

I appreciate the thought, Soule. It certainly looks too narrow; I could never get close to that narrow! But narrower is the advice I received for them from SSCs and it does seem to help them keep tighter up top. Ultimately, they may need to widen their grip some. But here is where we are currently. As always, and especially with kids, it is a work in progress. And, I find with my girl especially, quite a lot of trial and error. The great thing is that overall progress for both of them is on a good upward trajectory and they are getting better at it all the time. In some lifts, my son's form is better than mine, in fact!

A family affair! Excellent. Bastiat, you are getting some knee slide here. Sit all the way BACK and don't let the knees come forward. Your son's squats look very solid but he could use some more overall tightness. This will help for when he really starts to grind. Tell your daughter to lean over more. Push her butt all the way back towards the mirror.

Thanks, Ryan. Yes, I noticed it too, even during the set. Will adjust for Friday's session as you suggest

What clue would you use to help my boy to better understand how to get tighter?

I really appreciate all your helps for each of us!

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Thanks, Ryan. Yes, I noticed it too, even during the set. Will adjust for Friday's session as you suggest

What clue would you use to help my boy to better understand how to get tighter?

I really appreciate all your helps for each of us!
    Have him finish the breath before he starts the descent

Haven't posted for a bit even though we all keep at it.

Here is my squat from Wednesday, 310x5. This looks better than it felt, imo. I think my stance was a bit narrower than normal, so I felt a little out of sorts; kinda "tight" throughout the set. But I didn't want to adjust once I got going. Still fighting some knee slide.

I may post my daughter's squat from today after it finishes uploading. Son's will have to wait until next week. He was a little high on Wednesday, which is unusual for him.

Here's my daughter's squat (155x5) from today.

Hey Bastiat,

Even from front view I can see there is a bit too much knee angle here. Have her SIT BACK. Maybe think about not letting the knees come forward.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Ryan. I find it much harder to keep my daughter's form consistent and to not run into the occasional wall. (Meanwhile, my son's form is consistently better than mine!) But all in all she is progressing. We'll make her knees and need to sit back a major focus.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast