starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sq/DL Form Checks, Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Daughter, TUBOW edition. Backed her off today to 135# to work on knee and back angle and patterning better squat mechanics.
    1. set 1 - from front angle
    2. set 2 - from side angle
    3. set 3 - from side angle

What do you think, Ryan? I thought her last set was the best as I emphasized not just pushing hips back but also thinking about pointing chest to the floor. Still a work in progress, for sure.

Looks like this one will need a little more attention. What I like to do is have them do a few squats without the bar(squat stretch position - hands together, elbows inside knees) and block the knee with my leg to emphasize proper knee position. A little hard to explain over the internet I suppose. It looks like the TUBOW was set up inside her knee as opposed to right in front of it. Try to get her in the right position without the bar, and then use the TUBOW on the empty bar and warm up sets. Slowing down the descent usually helps as well

All good advice, Ryan. Thank you. We are hoping to get up to FiveX3 Training again sometime over the holidays, so I'm sure they will be a big help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    All good advice, Ryan. Thank you. We are hoping to get up to FiveX3 Training again sometime over the holidays, so I'm sure they will be a big help, too.
    Absolutely

Here's some recent lifts from me and my son. I'm including OH press this time.
    Me:
    • squat: 315x5
    • press: 165x3
    • DL: 405x5 -- always working on keeping back in more full extension; obviously not there yet, but I keep on keeping on with my back feeling better and stronger than ever.

Son:
    • squat: 315x5 -- still rushing his breath at top.
    • press: 122.5x3 -- clearly the lift he needs the most work on; he has tendency to rock his hips back rather than just hard contraction forward; this causes his elbows to slide below bar instead of keeping out front in rack position; he needs to keep bar closer to his neck, as well.
    • DL: 335x5 - he's got his form down so much better than I do! Only issue I see is he is releasing his breath at top; needs to hold it in until he returns to floor.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Here's some recent lifts from me and my son. I'm including OH press this time.
    Me:
    • squat: 315x5
    • press: 165x3
    • DL: 405x5 -- always working on keeping back in more full extension; obviously not there yet, but I keep on keeping on with my back feeling better and stronger than ever.

Son:
    • squat: 315x5 -- still rushing his breath at top.
    • press: 122.5x3 -- clearly the lift he needs the most work on; he has tendency to rock his hips back rather than just hard contraction forward; this causes his elbows to slide below bar instead of keeping out front in rack position; he needs to keep bar closer to his neck, as well.
    • DL: 335x5 - he's got his form down so much better than I do! Only issue I see is he is releasing his breath at top; needs to hold it in until he returns to floor.
    You:

Squat looks good. Lifted the chest a tad on last two reps.
    Press solid.
    DL - as you noticed the Squeeze is not holding completely the entire time. Keep focusing on it. Congrats on 4 Wheels!

Son:

Squat - descent is a little too vertical. See if you can get him to focus more on sitting back right from the start. May have to think about moving hips back first. Maybe descend a little slower.
    Press - if he's trying to do Press 2.0 he needs to reach with the hips first, then Press. He's doing both at the same time
    DL - yes good except for releasing the breath

Thank you, Ryan. I very much appreciate your time in lending your advice - thanks!

Anytime

420x5 DL.

Today's lift was not only heavier than I've ever lifted in poundage, but also felt qualitatively heavier -- a different kind of heavy. First time I've ever needed to grind in out on this lift, although the bar speed is still quite good. It was an awesome feeling! Better yet, I thought I did a better job maintaining my form and better back extension than I usually do. (Compare, for example, my 405 above). Still working on it, but onward and upward!

*Note: I'm not sure why the bar bounced sideways after the first rep, and again to a lesser degree later. I will say the flooring sucks and actually has a noticeable decline in to the corner to the left and behind of where I was set up. Perhaps that has something to do with it, or something I am doing on my drop back to the floor, or both.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes barbell training will have you continually redefining your notion of "heavy." Back extension still needs to be a focus but these were better than 405 with 15 more lbs on the bar so that's definitely good. Not sure why the bar moved either but you made the necessary adjustment. Nice work!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast