starting strength gym

Thread: Re: Can't keep back tight on deadlift

Default Re: Can't keep back tight on deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I posted my response to your question far too late to deserve a response on the last thread. Sorry about that. I pasted it here:
    I guess I was moving my chin down because I wasn't paying attention to where my gaze should have been focused during each rep. Doing this could possibly have been an unconscious part of my attempt to keep my chest down during the rep.
    I fixed my gaze here:
    YouTube
    I am now using a frog stance with my toes pointed out more and my heels 2.5 ish inches apart. I adopted this because I feel that I can get my back tighter because of this stance. However, when I watched the video I noticed that I am still raising the chest. Is the best way to fix this to just extend the legs until the bar gets to the knees?

Your gaze should be somewhere between 8-15 feet in front of you. It looks like you are trying to look up without lifting your head. Just look at the floor in front of you. Everything else looks good except you didn't hold the squeeze very well on the last rep

Here is 355x5x1:
    YouTube
    Here is 360x5x1:
    YouTube
    On the last rep for each, my back rounds and I involuntarily hitch because my legs vibrate. I thought I was almost out of the woods but now I have this to deal with. I pulled the 360x5x1 today and afterward I practiced pulling the slack out of the bar until I got this sick low back pump. What can you tell me? Should I decrease in weight? Any experience with failing to keep the low back tight on the last rep?

You are fine; stop over thinking this. Keep working to improve, but keep going up as you do so. There is perfect, and then there is good enough that you aren't going to hurt yourself as long as you keep working at it.

Good enough that is, except for you looking up, presumably into a mirror. Get rid of it or turn around, and get your gaze down so that your cervical spine is neutral and not hyperextended.

How often a week do you deadlift? Are you going up each time?

I am doing 1 set of 5 reps three days per week. I am going up by 5 lbs each session. Do you think the hitch on the last rep will correct itself as long as I focus on maintaining back extension?

An actual coach can advise better, but I think you should drop your middle deadlift session each week in favor or power cleans and/or chin-ups. The weight on your DL bar is getting heavy enough that you might not be able to fully recover in time to do it again heavy just two days later.

starting strength coach development program
    15 lbs per week is a lot at this point.

Keep your eyegaze down. Get rid of the mirror or whatever you‘re looking at.

Don’t exhale at the top. Air is support.